BSOD issue on new rig - thoughts and help requested

thecoffeeguy

Hey All,
Replaced my mobo,cpu and memory in my rig and kept my PSU, GPU, case and fans.

The rig:

CPU: i5 3570k
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme3
G.SKill Memory: 2 x 4gb sticks
Seasonic: 600w PSU
CoolerMaster Case:
GPU: Nvidia GTX 260 (did have the latest drivers installed)

I installed Win 7 64bit last night and everything was going smoothly.

Downloaded and installed a few games (Rage and Sniper Elite V2). Got about 40 mins of game time in last night before going to bed. Everything was cool.

Woke up this morning, got about 30mins of Rage game time in. Decided to log for a bit, then come back and Play some Sniper Elite V2. Started up the game, played about 3 mins and then the system froze, then BSOD'd and eventually shutdown.

Initially, I had to power down the system to even get it to reboot. Needless to say, I was a little shocked and surprised. Now I am hoping to look for some help here.

I should mention that the system seems stable. Browsing the web, normal stuff seems ok.

I have a weird, sneaking suspicion that the issue is the GPU drivers. Not sure why, just an odd feeling.

Attached is the .dmp file from the crash.
I did check event viewer and saw eventID 1001, BugCheck.

I appreciate the help. Let me know what else I can provide to narrow down the issue.

Cheers,

TCG

See if the automatic scan comes up with an updated driver and just let it install "over" the old driver. I believe Nvidia driver updates automatically remove the old driver before installing the new driver

See if the automatic scan comes up with an updated driver and just let it install "over" the old driver. I believe Nvidia driver updates automatically remove the old driver before installing the new driver

Ok. I just did the 'scan' site and I have the latest version of the drivers. There was no option to re-download and install over the top.

One thing I did notice:

This link here, to the mobo downloads:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77 Extreme3/?cat=Download&os=Win764

I never installed the INF driver. Not sure if it makes a difference. Was also trying to figure out what from the list I should install. So far I have installed (from the website:

-LAN
-Audio
-INF
-INTEL USB 3.0

The others I was wondering about are:

-CIR Receiver driver
-Intel Management Enginer Driver ver: 8.1.0.1248_1.5M

Just something I would mention.

BTW, any links you have on how to read .dmp files? Be curoius to learn.
Thx for the help!

TCG

Okay the INF driver is the chipset driver... It may be wise to download and install it. You have a Z77 chipset like I do and I suggest that you turn off or disable any CPU throttling stuff in the bios. Like CPU Thermal monitor and C3/C6 States

you actually have to select the clean install option. if what Tmagic said doesnt work, try redownloading the driver and checking the clean install option during the installation.

The video driver is most likely okay. I had to disable the CPU thermal monitor and the C3/C6 states to get game play stable

you actually have to select the clean install option. if what Tmagic said doesnt work, try redownloading the driver and checking the clean install option during the installation.

Ya, figured I would do that.
Did some testing last night for about 1 hour on Planetside 2. Worked fine.
Do some more testing this afternoon when I get home.

The video driver is most likely okay. I had to disable the CPU thermal monitor and the C3/C6 states to get game play stable

Is that done in the BIOS? I have a feeling, until new drivers get out (which I hope would fix the issue), I might have to modify a few things to make things stable.

of course, this could be the time to upgrade my GPU as well. Any suggestions?
Cant decide between sticking with a Nvidia or going with a AMD board. The prices on the AMD 7870 boards are very enticing right now.

Back