BSoD! Memory dump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.

I've been getting these BSoD's lately. It started a couple of months ago with one BSoD once a week or something like that.
After a while they escalated to almost everytime I used my computer. And then after a while I couldn't even start the computer in normal mode without it dying when I logged in.
I made a format and installed Windows7. Everything was cool for about a month, and now they are coming again, god I hate them..
I'm not Dr.Computer, but my qualified guess is RAM problems..

BCCode is 109.

My system:

Intel C2Q Q9450 2.66GHz Socket 775
4GB DDR2 1066MHz
nVidia 8800GTs 640MB
1TB HDD

The system was bought in June -08

Apparantly I can't post links, because I am new. So I will PM the link with the dumps for the one who is kind enough to help me!

All help is appriciated!
/marqelton

EDIT: Forgot about one part. When one of these BSOD's has occurred I cant start my computer for about 10 minutes, it's impossible. Wont even come to the boot screen. And if i come to the bootscreen, it freezes there and I have to manually turn off the computer. It is kinda disturbing when I'm playing and cant reconnect to the game for about 10-15 minutes..

You tell us nothing of your motherboard make and model or the manufacture of your RAM; give us your power supply make and wattage as well. If you suspect memory then do a tried and true diagnostics by using the completely free and safe Memtest.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Thank you.

Found the memtest link in another thread, and ran it for a couple of hours, that was enough. After 1 hour 57 minutes the test had found 610 errors and my recent sticks has gone out of stock..

So, I guess I'll just have to order some new RAMs.

Is it worth to install a new motherboard to get DDR3 or is it smarter to wait for it?
I have looked at some DDR3 sticks and they seem to almost all be for the new Intel procs i7 and i5. Do I have to buy a new processor aswell?
I feel lost. Haven't cared for computer parts for a long time now, and there are so much new parts.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

First, good work on your part by running memtest. You certainly have errors!

As for DDR3 it is made for AM3 boards as well as for Intel. Only the Intel newest offerings utilize the tri-stick set-up.

DDR3 memory needs boards to run which means you'll need a new processor.

*** Many of us can help you with parts selections. Two questions you need to answer: 1) What do you want to do with your PC? and b) What is your budget?

Hi there.

You tell me I need a new processor, why is that?

I found an American site with computer parts, I'm Swedish so I don't know if it's a good site or anything. But it's certainly easier for you to understand than if I post links from a Swedish site.. :)
(sending corrupted links, because my post count isn't over five, sorry about that)

htt p://ww w.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128433
This is a motherboard with support for DDR3 and it is socket 775, which fits my processor. Shouldn't there be some DDR3 sticks that matches just that motherboard?

htt p://ww w.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220435
I don't understand why these sticks shouldn't match the board?

Damn, I feel lost. Hope you can sort me out, dude!

Thanks for all the help!
/marqelton

Those links didn't work because I believe you need more posts to be able to post them.

Anyway, I probably have misspoken. Go ahead and give me the make and model number of your motherboard as well as the make and model of the RAM. I'll look up both on NewEggg (excellent place!) and get back to you.

My motherboard doesn't support DDR3, but I'm thinking about buying a new one.

I had to post corrupted links, because my post count.. (just add www before the "links" posted below..)

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128433

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220435

As I said, I cant see why these wouldn't match..
And, is it worth to upgrade to DDR3 now, or wait a couple of months for the prices to go down?
The prices on RAM have gone up like hell since I bought my computer. I paid like $100 for 3GB DDR2, and now the price on RAM with the same specifications as mine, costs like $200 for 4GB. These prices are at the site I'm buying from in Sweden.

Why is this anyway?

Good point made by stargazer418.

Personally, I would begin saving up and build a new system in the future. You have a very decent one right now and with the soon to be released 6 core cpus by both AMD and Intel the quad cores should be coming down in price.

Thank you very much for your replies guys!
I'm going to wait it out and just buy some new RAM sticks and upgrade to DDR3 later in the future..

Again, thank you for your replies!
/marqelton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back