TechSpot

BSOD minidump analysis help please

By marcdmarc
May 17, 2010
  1. Hello All,

I have a brand new Alienware M17x-R2, and have been experiencing issues with the machine, most notably BSOD's. I have suffered about 8 or so in the first 3 weeks, and have had to reinstall my OS 3 times already due to my OS disappearing the first time, and the second time after alienware thought to replace my graphics cards, and the third time after updating my BIOS.

Unfortunately, I have only captured one of the BSOD Minidump files with the most recent installation. I would like to narrow down what may be the source of my problems.

I have run the the Windows Memory Diagnostic Extended Memory test twice and everything turned out okay, and I have run the alienware diagnostic utility and everything passed there as well. So not sure where to begin. I have not run the driver verifier.exe yet though.

Here is the Minidump output:

Notice the:

which seems to be related to a 3d software program I use, and the

I have never analyzed these files before, so i am wondering if the 3d program caused a memory corruption, or if the memory hardware is bad. If anyone can please help me make an informed decision, as the tech support at Alienware is horrible.

I also should mention that when viewing the event viewer, I have a critical error entry listed as the following:
    I also have the following error entries in the event viewer around the same few minutes as the Minidump file creation:

and another error:

Here are my system specs for those interested:

Thanks to anyone who may be able to provide any insight into these issues I am experiencing!

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

BugCheck 0x50 can occur due to several causes:

1. Installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

2. Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.

3. Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

As your minidump points to memory corruption, I suggest you to start with downloading and running memtest, run it minimum of 8 passes. If it reports errors it mean you have to get your RAM replaced. Regards

3. marcdmarc

marcdmarc TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply

I am running memtest 4 now and will post back here my findings. From your reply:

How do you suggest testing for this? You also mention a possible cause could be :

How would I test this? I currently have a diagnostic utility provided by Alienware that tests the functioning of the internal hardware, such as the graphics card, but I don't think it tests the video card RAM.

I have run mdsched extended test and all tests passed. I am going to run the driver verifier.exe on all drivers, and have also tested the NTFS volume, and there is no corruption. The only other thing would be McAfee Total Protection 2010.

Oh. I should mention that I came across a post listed here that suggests they have a solution to the Critical Event found in the Event Viewer, which is the exact event that triggered the BSOD. The event is Kernel-Power event 41 task 63. The post is not for my identical machine, but suggests it could be the fault of conflicting Audio Drivers for those who have more than one audio driver installed. Here is the link to the post:

I should note that I did run the driver verifier on my Audio Drivers that I thought may be conflicting, but did not receive the BSOD, so I am not sure if this is the problem causing my BSOD.

Hopefully I can resolve this issue fast, or I am going to have to return the machine.

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

As per what Archean listed under #1 for the 0x50 error and what you posted from the minidump analysis which says: Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Make sure you run memtest for a minimum of 7 Passes and more is better.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.