BSOD, minidumps attached, need help with analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

I am running Windows XP SP3 on quite a dated computer that has been pretty solid up until now.

It is randomly suffering from BSODs, sometimes only after a short period of time but it can also go a few days without any issues.

After one such BSOD I rebooted the computer and after the initial screen where you can access bios, I was greeted with a blank screen with a 0 on it. Not good. So I went into bios and changed it to fail-safe settings and everything went fine. Then the BSODs set back in after a few days.

I have attached the latest minidumps. I have tried analyzing them but I really can't work it out, only consistent theme I see is win32k.sys. But this hasn't led me to any answers.

Specs:

Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHZ 2gb of memory

Would be greatful for any assistance and if you need more info just ask.

Thank you

Whooops attachments didnt upload properly, here they are

Attachments

• Minidump1.zip
    128.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Minidump2.zip
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
Of the five dumps read the most significant and definitive one is error 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT because this is probably the single strongest error pointing to memory corruption and that is exactly what it cited as your issue.

Therefore you will need to run Memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

hi i have ran memtest but only 1 pass, so i will go back and let it run longer
also thank you so much for your quick response

Yes, please give it 7 Passes at least and more is better unless you start getting errors sooner then go to step two.

Many people do start this before going to bed and they check it the next day. It is safe to do so.

hi guys i have ran the memtest for over 10 hours with 8 passes and no errors, any further suggestions?

Find the designed voltage specs for your memory. Then go into your BIOS and see if the motherboard set the memory voltage at the memory manufacture's specs.

Give us the make/model of your motherboard and the make of your RAM.

when taking out memory to get the model etc i noticed it was quite hot after running computer for less than 30 mins. turns out the case fan at the back was dead, have replaced that. could this contribute to overheating and to possibly the problem?

memory says its dynet on the actual stick itself but when running a system information program it states:

Property Value
4P430
Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
Device Locator Slot 1
Manufacturer Hyundai Electronics
Capacity 1024 MBytes
Memory Type DDR (PC3200)
Speed 200 MHz
Supported Frequencies 166.7 MHz, 200.0 MHz
Memory Timings 2-3-3-7-0 at 166.7 MHz, at 2.5 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Memory Timings 3-3-3-8-0 at 200.0 MHz, at 2.5 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Data Width 64 bits
EPP SPD Support No
XMP SPD Support No
Device Locator Slot 2
Manufacturer Hyundai Electronics
Capacity 1024 MBytes
Memory Type DDR (PC3200)
Speed 200 MHz
Supported Frequencies 166.7 MHz, 200.0 MHz
Memory Timings 2-3-3-7-0 at 166.7 MHz, at 2.5 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Memory Timings 3-3-3-8-0 at 200.0 MHz, at 2.5 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Data Width 64 bits
EPP SPD Support No
XMP SPD Support No

Couldn't find any information about what voltage to be running

Motherboard information:

Property Value
Manufacturer MSIDiag DMI Read/Write
Model MS-7082
Version
Serial Number

North Bridge SiS 661FX Revision 11
South Bridge SiS 964 Revision 11

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

When running a voltage tool it states

Hardware monitor Winbond W83627THF
Voltage 0 1.31 Volts [0x52] (CPU VCore)
Voltage 1 3.07 Volts [0xC0] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 0.51 Volts [0x20] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 5.17 Volts [0xC2] (+5V)
Voltage 4 12.65 Volts [0xD0] (+12V)

I think VIN1 is memory? is that voltage too high? in BIOS I couldn't work out how to change it..

Yes, absolutely heat can cause your issues. In fact, heat will shut down a system fast if it pushes hardware beyond set parameters. Good air flow is crucial to a system's overall performance.

Since replacing the fan how is your system running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back