BSOD multiple messages causing havoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidude36

edit:- i just did memtest and i got 216 erros, like 90% on test 1, and the others on test 7, and i left it going for 7 cycles.

Ok this problem ive been having ever since i bought this computer... (i built it myself, i will show the specs at the bottom)
Anyway im only just beggining to get frustrated enough to ask others for help because i need to leave my computer on for long periods of time (say overnight) but it is impossible with the BSOD of death attacking at least every hour, The bsod usually just says some stuff about hardware, or says "irql not less or equal" or "page fault in non paged area" and some other random junk.
I hear minidumps are usefull to post but i have no idea what they are, i shall look around at what they are in a minute.
Ok so i think it may be some hardware (no doubt it is) i unplugged my dsl modem (bt voyager 105) and the bsod situation seemed to stop... but i need to be connected to the internet... it is a need.
So i test it some more (leaving my computer on all night with the dsl modem un attached) and i found a few bsod attacks... but it seems less..
anyways can someone please help me out.... its becoming a real problem.

my specs:
3.0ghz p4
dvd rw + cd rw
80gb hd
a couple of fans (im sure my comp isnt over heating)
geforce 5500
a pci sound card (my onboard sound ceased to work so i bought it)
and if anyone would need more information i can give it..
thanks for all your help.

It seems like you`ve found the culpit. Faulty ram.

If you`re running more than one stick of ram, try running your system with just one stick of ram and see if your system becomes stable.

Other than that, you should try a new stick of ram and see how it goes.

Regards Howard :)

thanks howard, im running 2 512mb's of ram, i will probably upgrade to 2 x 1gb ram sticks soon, but i have taken one stick out and still gotten the bsod's
but that was almost a month ago.. ill have another try, if it happens again i will take the other stick out and put the one i took out before back in..
but yes i will report back if i get succsess or not.

Ok removed first stick of ram, booted up, was posting a reply saying i removed it when i got a bsod attack......
turned pc off and removed that stick of ram and put the other one back in..
now just sitting her waiting the bsod....

But if it doesnt.... then perhaps both are faulty.. or i just havent found the problem.... ive gotta choose weather to try buying new ram... (Which could be a waste of money if the ram isnt causing any problems) or not buy any ram and continue looking for another solution...
well im still here without a bsod... and its been almost 10 minutes.. not a record but still :D

The fact that memtest gave you errors, means it`s almost certain you have a faulty stick of ram. It is possible for both sticks to be faulty, that`s why I advocate running Memtest on each individual stick of ram.

However, since your system seems to be running ok at the moment, just wait and see what happens.

Regards Howard :)

been almost 3 hours without a crash :D this is great, must have solved the problem, i will leave my computer running over night and check in the morning, going to sleep now, thanks for all the help.

left it on over night and got a crash... grr anoyance, well i really doubt it was the ram that crashed it, because it was just a blue screen of death with no numbers... just said about recent hardware changes, and also my modem had crashed (doesnt crash when i get error messages like irql_not_less_or_equal)
so im geussing that its more then one peice of hardware causing this.
anyways beleive it or not i have school in an hour so im going to leave my computer doing memtest on the ram that i thought was good.
if you can be of any furthur assistance please post :D

tested the ram and it came up with errors... anyways i have school yet again in a minute, so i will find out about minidumps when i get home. thanksx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back