BSOD on at welcome screen/fan speed goes crazy

nosebleedXD

so whenever i startup my computer, and i am at the welcoming screen, either one of two things happens.

one - blue screen

two - gpu fan goes to max speed and loses signal to monitor

then when i restart, my computer somehow works again without these problems

this has to happen at least once on startup before my computer will work

the good thing though at least is that it doesnt happen when im using the computer, only at start up but it gets really annoying

also when i get into windows after the restart, i see something about amdkmdap error and has recovered

let me know what to do

oh and also whenever im watching youtube, i get the amdkmdap error, the screen would go black for 2 seconds and then the message would pop up and it recovers

btw the computer is an
windows vista 32bit
i5 2500k
ati 6870

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Four out of five files reported the same 0x116 error code (the fifth file was not descriptive) and this error code is due to faulty video card driver. All four reported the ATI/AMD driver atikmpag.sys as the culprit of your issues.

I suggest doing the following...

1. Go to our Download section and click on Utilities and then download Driver Sweeper 3.1 to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

thanks for your reply.

i think i might be analyzing and cleaning the wrong drivers... but
there is only 1 "amd - display" box, the others are nvidia. and theres no chipset driver listed for amd, so theres really only one that im analyzing. oh well, i redownloaded CCC and installing the drivers now and i'll give it a couple of days and see if this method works because i've done it before in the past

Keep in mind that if Driver Sweeper doesn't find any video drivers that is okay. Leave all other drivers alone.

Do you have onboard video?

thanks for your reply.
i don't know what onboard video is :p
but when i open driver sweeper it will just give me a list of like 10 things and i chose one that said AMD-display because i thought that was my video drivers.. is it not? :(
and then i analysed the amd-display and cleaned it.now im seeing if it worked

Onboard video means that the motherboard comes built with video.

Yes, the AMD display is what you wanted to remove. By the way, the amdkmdap that you mention in your first post is also an ASMD display driver.

Go ahead and attach that file. Did you have about 4 days of stability before this latest?

on 29th the screen suddenly lost signal and stayed like that. computer was running and its the same thing that happened with the fans but this time fans didnt go nuts...

my friend uploaded the minidump files previously.. i will have to ask him tomorrow how he did it because apparently i don't have access to compressing the .dmp files.

edit: so it was fine for 1-3 days and then yesterday it went weird with the signal and today (30) with blue screen. we'll see what happens on (oct 1) when i open my computer again!

(all in all i still think it might be a gpu defect?)

Could be that either the card itself is defective or the fan isn't cooling like it needs to. Were you doing anything in particular when any of your issues manifested themselves?

Try this: Completely uninstall your video card software/drivers and uninstall the card itself, then use Driver Sweeper. Next physically reinstall your card, load the drivers that came on the installation disk, and then update said drivers.

Back