BSOD on Startup - Windows XP Media Center Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my current situation:

Was getting multiple blue screens on an old install of XP so I decided it was time to reformat and reinstall windows XP.

1st attempt) XP installed properly. Began updating drivers, adding necessary software, etc... Everything ran smoothly until I unplugged the printer and then the BSOD appeared and would continue to appear whenever I tried to boot. It was the strangest thing.

So I decided to reformat again...

2nd attempt) I unplugged all peripherals from the computer this time and began to install clean. XP installed properly. Began updating drivers, installing Windows updates. After windows updates installed and I restarted, the BSOD began appearing on every startup up after the Windows splash screen.

The message is consistent:

A problem has been detected....

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x80536670, 0xF7A91C50, 0xF7A9194C)

Sounds like a memory error... Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? System does NOT boot into safe mode, but will boot into command prompt.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help!
Matthew

hi matthew my name is phil,and i have the same problem with my daughters laptop. its a toshiba sat l40. matthew when u say yours will boot in command prompt could u tell me how to do this. bsod doesent let me get onto anything and i do have the install disc the laptop came with but no drivers seem to kick in. thanks phil

Examine the events logs for errors. Video drivers are often the problem. However, safe mode uses standard vga drivers.

Phil - on restart after the bios is configured, repeatedly tap f5 to be given the menu to choose safe mode or command prompt. Use arrows to move the cursor and remove the selection timer. F8 toggles screens.

If boot.ini added the recovery console, then tapping f5 is not necessary. Just use arrows to remove the selection timer and strike f8 for menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back