BSOD on Windows XP, will not start

By Arc
Feb 11, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Compaq Presario v6000 with Windows XP pro SP3.

Yesterday I restarted after windows had completed an automatic update. While it was booting up it gave me a message that windows failed to start properly. I had the option to boot up in safe mode, use the last known working configuration, or boot up normally. I tried starting up in safe mode, but it would freeze as it was loading up the drivers. Using either last known working configuration or booting up normally resulted in a BSOD, and it returned me to the failed to start screen.

I checked my HD and the RAM, and both cleared. When I went home I managed to recover windows using my recovery CDs. I'm back on SP2 instead of SP3.

My question is, what happened and will it happen again if I update windows? Before all this happened, I kept getting random BSODs saying there was a problem with rbdss.sys.
  2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,986   +66

This update (KB977165) is the reason for many people having BSOD.

So basically just avoid this particular update and you should be alright.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.