BSOD Only When Switching Users in WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. Thanks to all for this site.

Computer Details:

Dell 5100C
2.8 GHz Pentium 4
512MB RAM
80GB SAS HDD
WIN XP Home v2002 w/SP2

Issue: Our family has 3 user accounts set up in Win XP. Sporadically, when switching users, we get a BSOD with "Page Fault in Non Paged Area". This problem does not occur at any other time than when switching between users. Message at the BSOD is:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0x9DAE200C, 0x0001000, 0x80508592, 0x000000)
Event ID: 1003
Category: (102)

I downloaded and ran WinDbg on a number of the minidump files and the output for all of them is the same I have posted that output below. It seems to have something to do with a "pivot.sys" file and possibly a file named "wpfb_ialmrnt5.dll." Any insight into what might be the issue and solution is appreciated. This is more than an annoyance than a major problem since we can always reboot and non of our data is lost. Thanks to all...tonzzz

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.7.0005.1
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020206-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8055c700
Debug session time: Thu Feb 2 21:38:54.890 2006 (GMT-7)
System Uptime: 1 days 0:35:46.571
Loading Kernel Symbols
.....................................................................................................................................................................................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 10000050, {998a200c, 0, 80508382, 0}

Unable to load image pivot.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for pivot.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for pivot.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for wpfb_ialmrnt5.dll
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for wpfb_ialmrnt5.dll
Probably caused by : pivot.sys ( pivot+42f7 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Problem Appears To Be Solved

All,

After posting this request for help this AM, I did a little more detective work and I believe I have fixed my own problem. I found out that the driver wpfb_ialmrnt5.dll and pivot.sys referenced in the minidump are both related to a program supplied with my LG Flat Panel Display. The program name is "Pivot Pro" and was provided in LG's "Forte Manager" application. It is used to reorient the screen content from horizontal to vertical automatically as the screen is physically rotated 90 degrees.

Anyway, I uninstalled Forte Manager and Pivot Pro from WinXP and found that the wpfb_ialmrnt5.dll file was removed from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

I have switched users 10 to 15 times with no more BSOD or page fault error. Normally, I would get the BSOD within 3 or 4 switches. It appears that the problem is solved.

I hope this is of use to someone down the road.

Cheers!
tonz

thanks, this helped. in my case it was not logging as different user, but doing Remote Connection but effect was same.

I hope this is of use to someone down the road.
Thank you for your status follow-up. This kind of feedback is VERY helpful to the community.

GLAD TO HAVE YOU WITH US :grinthumb :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back