BSOD or freezes within a minute when playing game

SantaCru

I'm using Window XP, and my computer freezes or BSOD everytime I play games.

I notice it only happens to more resource hungry game. It happens to Gears of Wars. I tried playing warcraft 3 and nothing happen.

Also the computer freezes sometimes when I'm watching video, either thru youtube or window media player.

I've attached my latest minidump and Hijackthis log.

Thanks in advance for helping!

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    6.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini081410-01.dmp
    64 KB · Views: 2
Since we don't know about your hardware we have to guess over heating, Power or drivers/ patches.

Can you give us a bit more detail about the above?

Alrighty, My hardware details are:
Intel Core2 Duo 6600 2.4Ghz,
2.0GB Ram (2x1GB Kingston),
ATI Radeon HD 5770 by Sapphire.
I'm using a Gigabyte Motherboard S-series 965P-DS3P,
Power supply is 450W by Topower.

Using Windows XP Professional SP2
I realized the compute freezes randomly too, just happened when i was surfing the internet.

If your Top Power model is TOP-450P5, it could be the cause of the problem, I think is SilentEZ 450 though which is better but with that 5770, I'd go OCZ 600 min, they call for 500W Min certified from AMD site for that GPU

Don't know if your video card is Flex or Vapor, how is the card connected to the power supply.

With SP2 and a couple unknown, it is rather hard to trouble shoot since Windows is not fully patched and updated which prompts us to think what else is not updated as in the motherboard BIOS, drivers etc ...

Based on your components which are decent, I suggest you try another power supply, if you can get one from a friend or someone or just get a better one (you can ask before you do)

Check for all hardware and software update.

Hi thanks alot for the reply.
How do i check if my card is flex or vapor?
I'll try to find a better Power supply to test it too. Will update u guys.

You are the one who can tell us what video card you bought, you might look at the card, the box it came in or in the Device Manager to check.

PC WIZARD could also be used.

Still like to know if your card has the 6pin PCI-E connector and how it is connected to your power supply.

That leaves the power supply and memory testing, Can you use memtest and test your RAM one stick at the time.

I still don't like the power supply see if you can test another power supply or even drop some load as in disconnect Optical drive if you don't need it for gaming and such (that gives you 24W, not much but it will show something)

I like a reading from your power supply, download CPUZ, unzip, run, save and attach the text file (last tab, About). Get the no installation one.

Alrighty, I will test my computer on a higher PSU unit by tmr, need find one. Will also buy a CD to burn Memtest, I'm aware Memtest can only be used during bootup right? Meanwhile heres a txt file of CPUZ of my computer.

Attachments

• santacru.txt
    74.1 KB · Views: 3
Thank you

Your BIOS is F4 from 2007, they are at F7 now with 2 microcode updates!

Can you visit GIGABYTE after you check your motherboard's revision (2.0 or 3.3), select your revision, download the latest BIOS, apply it, load the BIOS defaults.

In the BIOS, set your memory to 533MHz,
Disable Hyperthreding for CPU in the BIOS
save, exit /re-boot
Post another CPUZ please.
We have to disable some other values in the BIOS later.

I just changed my PSU to a 550W and my computer stop freezing in the game!!! Thanks Sharam for guiding me to the source of the problem. Should i still do this BIOS update thingy?

Yes and a new CPUZ text please, hope your 550W is decent, if you want me to check post the make and model or reading from the lable.

I would do the BIOS update and the changes I mentioned if I were you.

Alright i'm going ahead with the BIOS update. Will update you. Sadly my computer blue sceened again, but that was like after an hour or two into the game. Previously it cant even last one minute. I'm using Cooler master's extreme Power Plus, 550W.

hmmm, Cooler Master ... they make good cases, don't know who makes the power supply for them or what "core" they use, 70% efficiency! Their label usually leaves a lot to be desired, not enough info.

Let's do BIOS update while we can.
Do as I suggested in the other post
Post new CPUZ please.

We will look in to the crash and the rest.

Hey Sharam, I have problem updating BIOS. It seems like i need to get a floopy disk drive to update my BIOS? I do not have one with me now. I saw that others are able to use external hard Disk to do it; When i tried, after pressing F8 to go into my Dual Bios/q-flash screen, the BIOS cant seem to be able to detect my external hard disk.

Hold off on the BIOS update, can you give me the motherboard revision by looking on the board? check and see if you see 2.0 or 3.3 somewhere.

Ahh i finally found the revision number. Its 2.0. I cant see it on the box, but its actually on the manual in the box.

Good find, hang in there for BIOS update instructions, there had been some issues updating the BIOS on that board but not your revision.

EDIT:

Read somewhere people had same issues as you, they increased the PCI-E Frequency to 102 from Auto (100) inthe BIOS and upped the voltage .01 to get the board stable. You might want to try that, I will try to find what voltage they changed.

Should be OK as long as you are certain you have the right BIOS image file. Failed BIOS flash is rare but possible; I have had no issues myself in the past 15 years or so.

Heres my latest CPU-Z. My com still freezes or bluescreen randomly even after updating BIOS.

Attachments

• myCPUZ.txt
    74.3 KB · Views: 2
Did you load the BIOS defaults after update?

Memtest does run at boot up, they have bootable CD ISO as well as bootable USB, take your pick, test your RAM one stick at a time, then we do a drive test later.

I'll look at the BIOS screen from the manual.

For now, In the BIOS set your memory to 533MHz (266MHz)
Disable Hyper-Threading for the CPU.
Increase the PCI-E Frequency to 102 from Auto (100)

Still need to change some voltages.

Somehow when i change my PCI-E Frequency to 102, when i go to my bios again later on, it seem to auto reset back to Auto(100). I'm currently using Core2Duo 6600, there's no hyper-threading.

Back