BSOD: Page Fault on every boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechSmurfy

WinXP BSOD: Page Fault on every boot and option

PROBLEM: Cannot get into winxp, I get a bsod right after the loading screen (before the login screen).

A LITTLE BACKGROUND: I'm the type of guy who hates the guys that format their disk as soon as they encounter an evil monster. I like to get mine slayed. And I usually manage to do that. This one has got me too worried for two days now. I got a machine older than my kitchen table (256 ram on athlon running @ 1000mhz) but in better shape - and I like to have alternatives; I got my main drive (fat32) partitioned in three, the two of which are reserved for my two OSs (WinXP SP1 / Win98 FE) and another ntfs 250gb drive that is used and recognized as 130gb, but let's not get into that right now. Of course I got the Win98 as a backup solution and it has helped me a lot indeed.

HISTORY LOG: Something must have run in the background (coincidentally right after downloading and installing july's xp update; note: the installation failed the first time but succeeded the second) and loaded my virtual memory with crap, the pc hang for a bit. I noticed my pagefile reaching 750mb approx, while its default is around 390, causing my OS's partition space to empty. I got it to reboot, thinking that, no worries, my pagefile is gonna shrink to normal as soon as it gets re-created after the boot. But no, I get a disk check, fixing some errors and informing me of the 150mb I got left, then bam!, it's BSOD!

FACT #1: I always get a disk check and I always get a BSOD after it; PAGE FAULT IN A NON-PAGED AREA
STOP: 0x00000050 (0xcd500000, 0x00000000, 0x804d6dc8, 0x00000000)

FACT #2: I get the error in safe mode, last configuration and every gorram choice F8 gives me.

FACT #3: I didn't have my XP installation disk, I managed to find one. Guess what, right after loading the recovery console and choosing the OS location, I get the same BSOD there as well. So much for the recovery console.

FACT #4: I've browsed a lot, I know the hex code has something to do with the memory, though I believe it's the virtual memory not my physical; it passed memtest and besides, I run win98 just fine with my mere RAM.

FACT #5: I had to take refuge in 98. Deleted the pagefile from there to free space and backed up/deleted some files that were modified during that cursed time. Did further tests. Results: bull$hit.

FACT #6: Yes yes I disabled caching in bios, no results.

FACT #7: I did a thorough disk check from win98 to the partition where XP is installed. The fully detailed summary provided said there were some errors found and fixed (though we will never learn which were they). I attempted a defrag as well, but it stopped due to disk errors, advising me to run a disk check. No $hit.

FACT #8: EVERY TIME I pass from a disk check (before the blue screen) I get errors; Out of nowhere I got lots of bad links (lost chains?) which are being converted to files with huge total sizes. Each time I get back to win98 and delete all these converted files which vary from 30-40 to over 100mb. That really got me worried. After having 'emptied' almost a GB of those 'bad links' I stopped carrying out the disk check out of fear I'm losing my data. I just skip it and get to the bsod.

So, since all ways of getting through to XP have been blocked, I hope to find a solution through 98. I wouldn't like to get it serviced, but if it's serious I might just do that. But there's always a glimmer of hope in here... (I hope...)

Greetings and nice to find you here.

I would suggest (if available) the drive utility offered by the maker of your drive.
It _may_ be able to recover non-destructively, where the chkdsk options often generate the lost chains that you report.
For a list of such utilitiies by driver maker, see here https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

Thanks for the link, though it didn't entirely have to do with my problem.
I thoroughly examined my drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic and hdd regenerator; all tests passed flawlessly.

Just in case, I replaced my 256 DDR with another one, passed the memtest and I still get bsod everywhere.

So I'm gonna have to say we're excluding the possibility of a hardware problem. What could possibly trigger the mess that XP is now in? Which files should I play around with (replace, delete, move), since my only option is through 98? It's been almost a week and no new ideas.

Since your XP is SP1, one of the first things we will want to do, as soon as we can make that possible, is get you updated to SP3.
This is important for the security patches that have been released since SP1.
You can order the SP3 update from MS, for about $10US, including Shipping (US), but it does take a couple of weeks to arrive.

Meanwhile, if you can, please attach a zip of up to 5 of your most recent minidump files to your next post.
This will allow further analysis of your BSOD codes (including the faulting module(s). )
You will find them on the XP partition, under your "Windows" folder, in a subfolder called "Minidump"

It is possible that you have a conflict between XP-SP1 and your video adapter/drivers.
Do you have on-board graphics only, or an add-in card?
If an add in card, try removing it, and trying to boot. See here... http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329293

The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory.
Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or
incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.
But we need the minidumps in order to learn more.

From the above information, this means you should (since we have ruled out HD failure)
1. If you are overclocking, return bios to defaults.

2. You say that you have already run Memtest... Still, because of the MS article HERE , if you have not already done so, see this tutorial. You should run Memtest on each stick in order to isolate the faulty module. Please note that the test will take a long time on most systems. For an adequate test run, you need to allow at least seven (7) full passes of eight (8) tests each. The tests are of increasing complexity. You can expect the test to last several hours, especially on an older (slower) machine.

3. If you have added any hardware, remove the new hardware, and see if that allows you to boot.
Note... Incompatible software may include AV, or Malware, or other products.
If your XP partition is available from your 98 installation, run AV software on your entire drive.
I would recommend following the instructions in https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/. Follow them carefully.
If you find any malware, post a new thread the Virus and Malware board...

Also...
Since your problem developed while updating XP, and since your XP partition was filled, I am wondering if a tool like Partition Magic with Boot Magic or Partition Commander with Boot Commander might help you to make more space available to your XP partition, and thus eliminate the errors.

I wanna thank you for your detailed reply.
Useless note: Win98 was only meant for a backup plan, so I hadn't paid much attention to configure it properly. I have now set up internet access, after restoring my network files and vmm32, so I can check in the support forums more frequently. With the links you provided and more tools from my own search, it seems that my 98 performance is gonna be more optimized than I ever expected.

Further notes:
#1 - I noticed, for the first time after the incident, that a normal-sized (392mb) pagefile.sys was created in the winXP partition, probably in one of my attempts to login to xp lately - and if I'm not mistaken it was after I replaced the RAM and inserted it to a different slot (again, this could be just a coincidence). Not that it had any effect on the bsod, but I thought I'd mention it.

#2 - One thing I forgot; during my first reboot when I encountered the bsod, one of the file errors in the disk check had to do with the restore point it was trying to create. I later noticed that the last restore point was never completed, it had only a few files. I should say that I got no restore points, cause XP automatically deletes them when there is low disk space.

#3 - I had updated up to SP1 only, on purpose. I didn't want to install later packs for a variety of reasons, incompatibilities and conflicts cause of my software and old system specs. I know it's a dilemma, some things work better in SP2 and later and others require a system up to SP1. Apparently the applications and services I use led me to the decision to keep SP1, after browsing and reading more opinions on the matter.

#4 - I am now attaching the latest minidump files. Unfortunately I haven't kept the dumps of this month, my last minidump was created almost a month ago, but I'm including them anyway.

#5 - Just installed Avast and completed my first scan. In the XP partition two infected files were found: [UPX] in the system32/rcp472.usb folder and Yazzle1796OinUninstaller.exe in Common Files, both of which I deleted, cause moving to chest did not work. Bootex.log and pagefile.sys were unable to be scanned.
Should I post a new thread in the Virus board as well now? I don't know if they got to do with anything.

I'm gonna try some more tools and also run memtest 7-8 times more like you suggested and will report back with more comments.

EDIT: Even if I wanted to, I cannot complete the 8-step guide. Malwarebytes requires a Windows NT version or higher and while SUPERAntiSpyware gets installed properly, it freezes when I start the application. Best win98 alternatives for those two? I guess the 8-step guide post should be updated too (unless we only focus on systems Microsoft currently supports).

I have reviewed your minidumps and have some ideas.
First I need to ask, did your XP disk come with this computer? If not, then where did you get it?
By the way, SP3 is a "security issue", as well as a "compatibility issue".

As for the malware removal tools, I would suggest making a new thread in that forum.
Perhaps Touch, BlindDragon, or one of the other Malware experts can point you to some appropriate tools.
I do see some things in your dumps that suggest this is an important step.

UPDATES & FURTHER COMMENTS:

* Memory: I completed 10 more passes with Memtest, no errors found. I think it's safe to assume there's nothing wrong with my memory now.

* Graphics card: It's not an on-board card, I got GeForce FX 5600. I took it out, cleaned the dust from the card and tower the best I could and put it back in. I cannot test it with a different card, I don't have any alternatives to plug the monitor into. I renamed the nv4_disp.inf (supposing it's the only .inf my card uses) and tried to boot again. No changes.
(note: when I did that and then reset the pc, I experienced a monitor malfunction; either before the os choices menu or after when I chose win98, all screen displays were like a bad tv reception and I when trying to load 98 I encountered a message saying that the pc needed a restart in order to be protected, or something like that. then I unplugged the monitor and power cable and replugged them and everything got back to normal. Could be just a temporary bad connectinon of the monitor to the graphics card and another coincidence? probably, but I'm just reporting everything that's happening)

* File system/OS: There's been tons and tons of custom tweaks and readjustments since I installed XP (i.e. even for the simpler tasks, like a custom boot screen, custom login screen and xp themes). And it's been so many years I can hardly remember what's been changed ever since. But I had been cautious along the way and I never had any similar problem. Plus, I don't remember changing anything the last few months. As for Partition Magic, I had used it in the past, added 1,5gb to the XP partition. It's a miracle how MS OS fill your space in a matter of months. I had a problem with space half a year ago, so I followed some steps after a mini research to delete XP files/folders or packages that are not being used by the operating system. I backed them up and deleted them from my drive. Of course, I've also been using other tools to optimize performance and clean space, like CCleaner, PowerTools and a couple of others. But the bastard keeps on filling. And I'm basically running only a few apps on a daily basis, using my pc mostly for playing music/movies and browsing the web.
Latest changes? As I recall, I only recently bought headphones that use the USB for power and I currently have both my speakers and headphones plugged in the soundcard. I didn't even have to install any drivers.

I am not overclocking. I have AMD AthlonXP+ 1600, which I have set @ 1000 (100/100), cause I ran into various problems after using it @ 1400 (133/100) for some years. So all in all it's basically underclocked. Of course I'm in a countdown of buying a new pc, but until that time comes...

I'm now thinking a few things:
a) If it had something to do with my hardware, wouldn't it affect my win98 performance as well? Besides a few specific apps that cause errors in 98, I don't have any serious problems. So...
b) Since BSOD pops up in every mode (including safe mode and recovery console) it must have something to do with the 'few' basic services/files that load regardless of the mode you select. One of them is probably damaged. Unless...
c) We're talking about a virus/malware. In that case that would explain all my FOUND.*** folders that are created after a failed boot, maybe something's corrupting all the files. I opened a few of the *.chk files only to realize it's really random files, which, I fear, have been permanently corrupted or destroyed. Even if I manage to boot into XP, I wonder what part of my system is gonna be intact...
(I just opened an appropriate thread in the Virus/Malware forums, as you suggested - but I'm not seeing light in the tunnel)
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic131905.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back