Bsod: Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeiJun

Hey, I am working on my sisters computer. She described to me that the previous night while surfing the internet the computer gave her a BSOD. Ever since, whenever she restarts it, the windows logo comes up and then flash the BSOD and the computer restarts, never reaching the logon screen. When I tried to restart in safe mode, it hangs on mup.sys for about 10 secs and then ends on the BSOD without restarting. It reads :

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent further damage

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
0x00000050 (0x00000000, 0x80087000, 0x00000000, 0x930F19DC, 0x00000000)

(This is the same BSoD from what I can tell from closely watching the flash of the blue screen when starting from normal/last known good config)

I've used memtest on both sticks of ram individually, and they passed. I've also tried putting my HDD in her computer and get the same error. And also tried hers in mine with the same result. I am attaching her latest minidump file as well. Please let me know if theres any other information I can provide. Any help in recovering from this problem is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately this blue screen has pointed towards ntkrnlpa.exe which is rather general (gr).

Are you running Vista on both machines?

Please update your graphics, audio and network (both wireless and ethernet) drivers

If the problem persists then I would recommend doing a Vista Repair (you wont lose any data) as this will correct any system file issues that may be causing the problem

Let me know how you get on

Note: You will need your Vista disk for this

Wow, I feel silly that I didnt even post the OS's. My sisters machine is running WinXP Media Center Edition, while mine is running WinXP pro.

Her computer only came with the 6 disc reinstall, which i havent been able to get to a recovery console from. To get to the recov console, i've been using a self-made boot disk.

Is there a way to do the updates you mentioned via the Recovery console?

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Don't worry, I assumed you were using Vista since most of these errors are on Vista currently. Sorry :(

Updates can't be done through the Recovery console but I'll tell you how to do a little trick that works 80% of the time and allows you to boot into windows.

If you get into the Recovery Console then select the drive you with the windows install on (it generally is C: and will give it to you as option number 1). Press 1 and then enter, then type fixboot. It will then ask you if you want to rewrite the boot sector and you say Y (wont lose any data). Press enter and it will rewrite the boot sector within a few seconds. You can then type exit and it will reboot, and hopefully into windows this time :)

If you run into any problems then just let me know

Can attach screenshots if you are unsure or confused

Heh, no need for you to apologize and your help means a lot.

However, I did try your trick and it booting up stayed on the windows logo for longer than it used to but still ended in the same result. Currently, I'm still downloading the most current drivers for that computer, but I'm not sure what I will do when I get them. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Can you get into safemode at all?

Also, when you tested your memory, how exactly did you go about it

And last question, what are the specs of your PSU :)

Note: Putting your hard drive in her laptop would normally cause it to blue screen, unless you have exactly identical machines hardware and software alike. Since the drivers for the hardware are stored on the hard drive, when you put your hard drive in, the hardware doesnt have its set of instructions (drivers) and freaks causing a blue screen.

Have you done any tests on the hard drive itself?

Each of the options for safemode end with the BSoD =/

As for the memory testing: used MemTest86 on one stick of RAM at a time, turning off the computer and any power to the computer, replacing the tested one with the other. Both passed and there was a message that said I can restart when i came back during its 2nd run of the tests.

PSU: 300W DC output (+3.3V & 5V=130W Max)
Model: FSP300-60THA
If you need any more info on that PSU lemme know =)

Good point about the hard drive swapping. In truth I thought I had done it before but now that you say that I can only remember slave driving hers onto mine when she had run into other problems. Not that this is that important, I'm working with 2 desktops here =P

I ran Chkdsk /r on the hard drive earlier but thats was it; same results.

I'd suggest running seatools on the drive, just to rule out a faulty hard drive. Here is a guide, I recommend using the Seatools for Dos. Even if your drive isnt seatools, the program will still pull up bad sectors just wont be able to repair them

As for the memory, you must get at least 7 passes to rule out faulty ram. Check with this guide and make sure you followed around the same steps, but it is crucial to let it pass for at least 7 passes (leave it overnight if needed)

okay, I will carry out those tests, and let you know the feedback later on. May be a little while =P

Good news and bad news. Good news: the hardware looks good, Ran both short and long tests for the HDD and passed both. Also ran the memtest checks with 20+ passes on each stick and both had no errors. Bad news, if only they were the problem we'd be set just getting replacements =X

Now that we've ruled the hardware out, would you suggest any other possibilities to get into safemode to try and update drivers?

Good read from Route44 :)

Two questions, 1) can you list your actual full systems specs, want to make sure your PSU is sufficient for your hardware

2) The CD you used to get into the recovery console, is it actually an XP disk as well?

Basically my next step (after trying some of the ideas in Route44's link) would be to do a second repair (recovery console is the first repair option).

Have a read of this guide

@ Route 44 thanks for posting, I'm currently looking into it.

@snowchick
1) PC Name: Acer Aspire E360
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Motherboard: NVIDIA GeForce 6100
Memory: 1GB DDR (512x2)
Videocard: GF 6200TC / (integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6100)
Soundcard/Speakers: 16-bit, full-duplex AC 97 Rev. 2.3 compatible, 8-channel (7.1) audio CODEC
Hard Disk: 250GB SATA 7200rpm
Other Buffalo AirStation Wireless G(WLI2-PCI-G54S)
Operating System: Windows XP Media Center

A side note: I took out the PCI-E vidcard towards the beginning and have been running from the integrated vid, and also took out the wireless card as well. So currently those two are not attached.

2) No the CD is not a full XP disc, it is just XPRC, when trying to go into install it can't find a EULA and the only option is exiting.

I am thinking I want to try replacing the PC's PSU with mine, I'll wait for a response just in case though.

Hope to hear back soon. Thanks!

Okay, so heres the update,

After swapping PSU's the behavior changed slightly. I no longer received the BSoD when trying to boot into Safe mode; In fact, the behavior is exactly as described in 'Symptoms' in the Mup.sys error article that Route44 provided earlier. BSoD still flashes for a sec when booting window normally.

Also, I have a Windows XP pro cd, but not sure that the install will let me repair windowsXP files for WindowsXP Media Center Edition. Anyone know if that will work?

The Media Centre Product Key can be used for XP Pro installs, it should let you repair with an xp pro CD.

Give it a go and see how you get on.

So you can boot into safemode now?

Nope, I couldn't get into safemode, "When booting windows XP in safe mode the last driver that shows loaded is mup.sys. Then..." it restarted after hanging for 5-10 mins. Attempting repair; Stay tuned for updates =)

I was able to do the repair, but still no luck. Now when i boot to safemode instead of hanging on MUP.sys and then restarting i'm back to getting the BSoD. In addition I dont know if this holds any importance but at the windows logo loading when booting normally, it nows has "Media Center Edition" underneath the logo. Gonna continue searching for resolutions, if you come up with anything lemme know.

Thanks

*Note* All this was done with the original PSU maybe explaining why its back to the BSOD instead of hanging. I will attempt replacing mine in there as well in a bit.

Tried booting up with different power supply after doing the repair, exact same results as with the original power supply. (Safe mode boot up --> hangs at Mup.sys for about 10 secs then BSOD; Normal Boot --> windows logo, one sec flash of BSOD and then the computer restarts)

So I feel like I'm back to square one. Still can't boot up windows even to safe mode, memory and harddrive all passed tests.

Do you have a spare hard drive that you can try doing a fresh install of XP or some other OS on ? If it works with a fresh install, at least you will know its not the CPU or motherboard.

After everything you tried , it sounds like it could be the motherboard, how old is it ?

Maybe the Northbridge went south ! :)

After further research on mup.sys here is what I found: it could be a corrupted registry as per Microsoft, or it can be plug and play peripherals such as a mouse or keyboard,or it can be the BIOS is no longer recognizing certain aspects of your computer hardware.

So...

1. Check your BIOS and see if everything relevant to your system is recognized including your USB.

2. What are your plug&play components and not just the mouse? This could be a firewire card, external harddrive, etc.

3. You may have to do the old tried and true where you unplug everything from your motherboard except cpu, RAM, and monior and boot up. And then one by one reconnect your harware, etc. until you find the culprit.

Tried performing a manual restore of the Windows XP registry, and later trying a fresh install both fail. I'm guessing its the Mobo now though I didnt see any capicitors that are abnormal.

The computer was just under 3 years old =/

I tried using all PSP devices rather than USB keyboard mouse also took out everything and ran it on bare bones still no good. If it was CPU i dont think it would get as far... Still a mystery and we are now looking at a new computer.

Thanks everyone if theres still any suggestions to see if the computer is salvageble feel free to respond. But after a clean wipe and fresh install, i don't know how much more we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back