BSOD - Physical Memory Dump

Hey guys, I tried to follow the thread for fixing this issue before I posted but to no avail. Just so you know, I'm not the best on a comp but I have some basic knowledge.

I seem to get the BSOD-Physical Memory dump within 5-10 minutes of booting up, every time!. It happens whether im playing a game(starcraft 2) or just surfing the web/trying to fix the problem. I am currently booted up on safemode and yet to have the issue (HOPEFULLY not hardware then?). Anyway, this computer is less than a month old, custom build.

Antec - Three Hundred Versatile Mid Tower Gamer Case
AMD - Athlon™ II X4 635 2.9GHz w/ 2MB Cache (Retail Box, Socket AM3)
Asus-M4A87TD/USB3w/DualDDR3 1333,7.1Audio,Gigabit Lan,USB3.0,PCI-E x16
Corsair - 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 2GB)
Seagate - 1TB Barracuda 7200.12 SATA II w/ 32MB Cache
Sapphire - Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
Silverstone - Strider Essential 500W Power Supply
Windows 7 64bit

I attached the 2 minidump files that were in the folder. Any other info required might need a brief explanation on how to get it for you. Thanks!

Note: I ran CCleaner before resorting to posting here for help. I cleaned whatever registry errors it found, but the issue still occurred. I have also tried to update my ATI driver, but still no luck.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    40.6 KB · Views: 2
Both minidump files only cited two different Windows OS drivers and usually they are too general to be of much use from a diagnostic perspective. Rather they point out something is amiss but what that amiss is OS drivers rarely say.

However, both error codes were the same 0x1A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related. It is not necessarily memory but for a good and solid first diagnostic step we recommend you run Memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

Also, being that this is an Asus board and the fact that Asus boards are quite well known to be picky about which RAM can be used on their boards, plus by the fact you have Corsair memory and that Corsair and Asus have had recent conflicts between memory and motherboards, go to Asus' website and find your exact motherboard page. Then find their Qualified Vendors List for memory. Is your memory on that list? keep in mind the list isn't exshaustive but, again, Asus boards are picky about RAM; so much so that they have a QVL for every board model they make.

These were 0x1A / Memory Management error events.

As you have Asus board, please check:

1. Your ram is on Qualified Vendors List (QVL) of your motherboard, you can find it on Asus's site.
2. RAM's settings/voltage are exactly the same as provided with your RAM's spec sheet.

Edit:
@Route
Hi :)

I posted without refreshing this page (I was away for dinner while the debugger was running) during which time you've already replied as well.

I am currently at school and will check what you provided when i get back. Quick question before hand, I assume its fine to run these tests from safe mode, since that is the only way i can remain booted without the comp shutting down?

Thanks for the quick replies

I don't see any issue with that, however, having seen so many Asus board's with memory settings related issues, I the first place to start should be to check BIOS settings and voltage.

sorry i'm a COMPLETE noob apparently, what would the quickest way to check BIOS settings and voltage be? Box info, or is there a CMD prompt that would bring it up for me...

I'll say this now, I am in university so taking my comp in to get fixed would be a last resort! However I understand the frustration of trying to help someone not qualified so if at any point i'm TOO much work to help please let me know!

Your motherboard manual should tell us what BIOS you have, Phoenix Award, etc. and we can help you access the BIOS.

As for memtest there is no need to boot into Windows either normally or in Safe Mode. The test actually takes over 2 seconds after you boot-up.

Yo Arch! Seems great minds thing alike = Asus boards + memory = :rolleyes:

Update:
I ran Memtest and found that one of the sticks was corrupt. Something like 59000 errors or so. I filed a warranty claim to Corsair so we will see how that goes... Wish me luck I guess? Hopefully I can still run my system off the 2 gig stick... I'll keep the gaming off I guess. Thanks guys

You're welcome. Did your memory come in a set? If it did Corsair will most likely want you to return it as a set even if one stick is good.

You can use it normally without any issues with one stick, but as Route commented you may be required to return it as well.

Back