BSOD - Regular as clock work :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleykins

Hi Guys, I have had a machine for about 2 years now, and needless to say I have tried all sorts to get this sorted, I should have just given up a while back and sought help.

But nevertheless, here I am today its BSOD'd with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 3 times in the past 4 hours, truthfully I did just install a new NVidia graphics card driver for the card, but that may just add to the issue not solve it.

Additionally I also get another blue screen int he mix, can't quite mind what it is (think its 0x00000050)

Basically I am running the following:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450 @2.66GHz 2.84GHz
2GB Ram (not 100% sure what make or type to be honest!)
32 bit Vista SP2
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra (8.17.11.9745)
NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
2 hard disks raid 0 together.

I'm aware this is (generally) bad driver / hardware. The problem is, I can't figure out which.

I have updated all drivers as much as possible, and don't know how to isolate the specific one causing an issue. Or alternatively im not sure hopw to identify the faulty hardware if its that.

I have heard alot about memtest but how do I use this?

I have been quietly looking around on this site and a few others and hoped someone might be able to decipher exactly what the minidumps blame.

If needed I think I have all 2 years minidumps!

ive popped 9 in at the moment. (size restriction wouldnt allow more :()

Please guys 2 years on and no luck :(

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    187 KB · Views: 2
There nine minidumps in your file and not one gave anything definitive; they all listed Windows OS drivers (except one and that simply stated Pool_Corruption pointing to a driver issues but no more) and these are usually too general to be of much help.

Three errors are 0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high

All others are 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Memtest Instructions:

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

> Have you had any issues with your RAID set-up?

> What security software are you running?

Hey Route44,

Thanks for the response.

I dont have any anti virus installed, never have yet and no issues to date. other than BSOD which happened before it was net connected.

I do however use lavasoft adaware on occasion to make sure im clean of anything major.

I've never had any issues thankfully, with the Raid set up so far :phew:

I will give memtest a run at some point this weak, probably tonight and tomorow during the day.

Out of curiosity, what if it isn't bad memory?

We continue on.

By the way Ad-aware is not really recommended anymore. It is outdated. The two that are of excellent quality are Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (SAS). Bot are updated daily but you can run them without real time protection. They are light in resource usage.

cheers very much i'll grab a hold of SAS asap. Ive just finished the windows memory diagnostic tool, with no results but will go and run memtest in a min i think.

Thanks Route44

The thing with SAS is that the free version must be updated manually.

Make sure you run Memtest for a minimum of 7 Passes.

Hi Route44,

I have completed both 1GB sticks of memory Memtests, i ran stick "A" during the night and got 10 passes with no errors and i just finished stick "B" with 8 passes no errors both sticks are corsair dominater memory.

I haven't yet ran the test with both in, but have a feeling after the individual passes it will be fine.

Regardless i will run it later today (I'm out of the building tomorrow and will not be able to interface with the machine until tomorrow evening. (10PM GMT).

If you have any further advice though i would appreciate it and will look to do it as best i can.

I'm popping to my local walmart in an hour during that time i will run the memtest with both in. It doesn't need 7 passes with both does it?

If so when i get back i will run it overnight till tomorrow.

Hi Route44,

I have ran 7 cycles with the two strips in at the same time and had no errors again.

I also went into the bios settings for overclocking and amended the settings from auto and put them to the lowest settings. Its ran this for a while and had no issues but has blue screened at least once.

If anyone has any further ideas i would love to investigate them :S

What happens if you manually set the voltage to the specs as designed by the manufacture?

Please attach the minidump from the latest crash(s).

I'm not sure how to find the voltage set by the manufacturer, I'm not sure but maybe I can reset to default if possible?

I have attached the latest dump.

Thanks Route44.

Attachments

• Mini050610-01.zip
    21 KB · Views: 2
Another 0x50 error and another Windows OS driver.

If you set at default the motherboard will set the voltage back to AUTO. To find the make of your RAM you can do two things:

1. Shut-down the computer and physically take out the the RAM and look at it.

2. Or download a free, safe and neat little utility called SIW (System Information for Windows). It will give you a great deal of information about your system inclusing the Manufacture and Memory Type of your RAM. Once you find it go to the manufacture's website and find the memory specs.

Hi Route44,

I have downloaded SIW and checked out the details its as i posted above but with some further information obviously.

corsair DDr2 memory 2x2gb CM2X2048-8500C5D

Unfortunately i cannot find information anywhere regarding the base values for voltage on this memory.

Its currently running at the following:

Device Locator Slot 1
Manufacturer Corsair
Part Number CM2X2048-8500C5D
Capacity 2048 MBytes
Memory Type DDR2 (PC2-6400)
Speed 400 MHz (DDR2 800)
Supported Frequencies 270.3 MHz, 400.0 MHz
Memory Timings 4-4-4-13-16 at 270.3 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Memory Timings 5-5-5-18-23 at 400.0 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Data Width 64 bits
EPP SPD Support Yes (Version 16)
XMP SPD Support No

Device Locator Slot 2
Manufacturer Corsair
Part Number CM2X2048-8500C5D
Capacity 2048 MBytes
Memory Type DDR2 (PC2-6400)
Speed 400 MHz (DDR2 800)
Supported Frequencies 270.3 MHz, 400.0 MHz
Memory Timings 4-4-4-13-16 at 270.3 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Memory Timings 5-5-5-18-23 at 400.0 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Data Width 64 bits
EPP SPD Support Yes (Version 16)
XMP SPD Support No

Do you have any further advice about the correct voltage levels for this memory? I apologise!

Once you know this corsair DDr2 memory 2x2gb CM2X2048-8500C5D then you can do a search for the specs. The memory voltage is 2.1v.

Hey Route44, I have just got back in since Friday, and the machine hasn't crashed. (touchwood)

Now i can see two possible reasons.

A bad or filthy connector on a bit of ram, which was cleaned by me taking it out and putting it back in.. Or alternatively the change to the bios overclocking settings making the system A LOT more stable?

I Don't think the machine has ever went 24 hours without a BSOD.

I might give a pause here and wait and see if its resolved.

:)

On another note i have found that as lone as the voltage is +- 0.5 it should operate fine for this memory and the settings is current -0.3 volts so it should be fine as is :)

Thanks for your assistance for the moment and i may be back in touch!

I would say it was probably having to do more with our BIOS tweaking. Please keep us updated and glad to see you have stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back