TechSpot

BSOD - STOP - 0x00000024 - Always ntfs.sys related?

By cornershop
Mar 19, 2010
  1. Folks

Newbie here with a STOP - 0x00000024 error after powering off my laptop when it wouldn't come out of hibernation. Big mistake! Spec is:

HP DV6174 (circa 5 years old, never backed up, no recovery disk - typical)
    2Gb Ram
    120GB SATA HDD
    WinXP SP3 or the latest SP/Patch at least

Now returns BSOD on every boot, on choosing Safe Mode (all options), Last Known Good etc - Windows logo appears, progress bar gets to about 25% of the way across then BSOD, then auto restarts

I know nothing about Linux, however after a bit of a Google and finding various NTFS.SYS related threads, I have:

1)Booted off a Knoppix 6.2 USB stick (CDdrive failing to read any CD-R/DVD-R)
    2)Open Terminal session and SU to root
    3)umount /dev/sda1 (after running cfdisk to confirm NTFS entry)
    4)ntfsfix /dev/sda1

5)Message within Terminal session returned that command completed successfully
    6)Shutdown Knoppix, remove USB stick and power up >>>>> same BSOD

Question - is this particular message always related to NTFS.SYS corruption? I don't get NTFS.SYS mentioned in the BSOD 'msg' at all ie the STOP text and accompanying Hex is all I get.

Have I missed something, or can the STOP 0x24 message relate to another issue? Both HDD and memory have been reseated.

The XP CD I have is older than the version on the laptop and won't find the HDD in Recovery Console, probably doesn't have the SATA drivers on the CD - so can't run CHKDSK /R

Via Knoppix i have copied my data onto a USB HDD, although not validated yet on another XP machine. Once I have done this, i'd be more willing to test things.

Thoughts very much appreciated.

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

It would be much more helpful if you can pull the minidumps out of that notebook; and post them here for analysis. You can find them in C:\Windows\minidump. You should be able to do this by using that same bootable cd.

3. cornershop

cornershop TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your input Archean

Have located the .dmp files but all 5 don't appear to have any content apart from

"PAGEDUMP"

Last modified in 2007 - is this what you'd expect?

4. Archean

Not really, those are probably old/outdated dump files.

I guess only option left then would be to boot from windows xp recovery console cd (also you need to have your windows xp cd handy); then try to run sfc /scannow, to see whether it fix your issue.

5. cornershop

cornershop TS Rookie Topic Starter

Just to close this one out, I sourced an XP Pro CD (SP2) which loaded the correct SATA drivers for Recovery Console to see my HDD - one looooon Chkdsk /r later, all is well

Thanks for the help

6. Archean

Thanks for update, happy computing ;) Regards.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.