BSOD stop 0x00000024 chkdsk unrecoverable

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlancelot

The windows xp home machine I'm working on keeps rebooting itself, so this is the troubleshooting process I've followed:

1. F8 to the "stop reboot on error", and got a BSOD with stop 0x00000024 -->

2. this prompted me to run chkdsk /r from a recovery console (ala xp home oem disc)

3. which got me to 65% and a "unrecoverable errors" message

4. I have tested all the hardware, it's okay

5. so, I'm stuck with a file system problem, or a bad sectors issue, or a bad boot.ini/mbr?

6. ran test disc, all sectors are fine

7. now it's a corrupted ntfs.sys? boot.ini? mbr?

I'm not that familiar with the actual boot process and the files that are involved/could be corrupted that may cause the stop 0x00000024 and the unrecoverable errors issue with chkdsk...can you guys assist?

PS, if needed, I have a few of the boot discs (hiren's, miniPE), and a windows xp home oem disc, and I'm quite familiar with the hardware side, and software side of things, so go all tekkie on me :p

After looking at the boot process:
dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/unknownreference/articles/12284.aspx

I'm wondering if the issue is either with boot.ini or ntldr?

Try testing your HDD with one of the utilities here.

If everything turns out okay with your HDD, try a repair installation of Windows or follow this guide.

OR, could we be dealing with corrupted regsitry files?
SAM, SYSTEM, SECURITY, or DEFAULT, SOFTWARE?

how to know for sure where the problem resides? it's nice to pinpoint the problem, if we can, there will be many internetters quite happy! :)
I couldn't seem to locate an answer to this problem via google

okay, when I get to the c:\ prompt in the recovery console and I type dir I get "an error occurred during directory enumeration"

I also get no luck when typing "bootcfg /list", I get "there are currently no boot entries available to display", and also for rebuilding the registry manually (MSKB 307545) the pc cannot "see" the windows directory, let alone any other directories

On Hiren's boot cd I ran the Partition Table doctor and rebuilt the partition table and the mbr, it said there was a problem with the partition table before the repair, once repaired, I rebooted, no good, still rebooting, but I'm checking with the recovery console on the windows cd to see if fixed the problem of "...directory enumeration"

after running the fixboot utility on the partition table doctor, I got the error "can not fix boot sector of the partition!"

I was able to view the boot.ini file through an editor, it looks okay, and I was able to view the files on the hard drive along with all the folder etc. with one of the hard drive file viewing utilities in the hiren's bootcd, and the hard drive passes sector tests, and the manufacturers hard drive utility, it looks like it's a problem with the partition table, or mbr, but I don't know enough about them to repair...any advice?

Funny, I ran the windows xp disc, and when I hit enter (I was thinking of doing a repair install), and it showed the C drive as a partition of "unknown" file type...this suggests to me that the partition is just corrupted...

going to do a full wipe and reload...no other options left :( the partition is bad, and the MFT is bad so testdisk cannot repair the partition :(
and the other partition repair tools didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back