BSOD Stop: 0x0000007E

Status
Not open for further replies.

EndaBuckley

Hi,

I was typing up an essay when the monitor screen froze. I turned off the PC and rebooted. At first the PC would appear to be operating but nothing would come up on the screen. I fiddled with the vga adapter that is connected to my graphics card and tried rebooting again. It worked this time but then A Blue Screen of Death appeared before I could reach the desktop. Here is what it says:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xB7583E9B,0xB85032F8,0xB8502FF4)"

I have a Dell Dimension E521. It is Windows XP
I have a feeling it is to do with my graphics card (NVidia GeForce GTX 260) and it's connection, which is a PCI Express 2.0 connection to the motherboard.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could at least pinpoint where the problem is and direct me. I think my video card may have packed in, or at least the connection.

flexible riser card

oh yes, i forgot to mention.

My Dell Dimension motherboard is quite limited in space, so connecting the GTX 260 in there was impossible. i bought a riser card with a flexible cable to rectify the problem and managed to connect the graphics card to my riser card, which then connected to the pci express connection. everything is kinda jammed in there, the video card has been leaning down (due to gravity) on the flexible cable from the riser card for quite some time, there may have been creases that have developed in the cable. maybe after time this has started to damage the cable? would i be right in making this assumption?

i would appreciate any help. i really don't want my pc to pack in :(

anyone know anything specific about the problem??? anything would be a help to me right now, i really dont wanna lose whats on my hard drive, theres a lot of stuff there iv been working on for the last year and a half and i dont wanna lose for good :(

im good at following technical instructions

Attach your minidump files in your next post.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Mini Dump Files

First of all, thanks very much for replying to my query.

I can reach the desktop through Safe Mode thank God.

K, here are the last 5 minidump files in zip format. Hopefully you can pinpoint the problem

Attachments

• Mini Dump Files.zip
    111.5 KB · Views: 4
Additional Info

Hey, I just thought it might be handy to know my what's in my system in case you need any additional info, I've attached a dxdiag file of my system. hope this helps!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    41.5 KB · Views: 2
Three out of the five minidumps specifically cited the Nvidia display driver nv4_disp.dll as the cause of your system crashes. This driver is cited quite often in system crashes. Thus...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

uninstalling video drivers

ok, thanks a million, i now have an inkling of how to go about solving this problem.

ive downloaded driver sweeper and am currently downloading my latest nvidia drivers

i just have one question.

how do i go about uninstalling my current video drivers? i just need to know exactly what to do. forgive me, i am a mere novice.

No need to apologize for being a novice. We all started out as a novice. :)

To unistall your video card drivers go to Start > My Computer > Control Panel > Add/Remove > find the make of your card which will be Nvidia > Click on and uninstall.

Then use driver sweeper. Again, if you don't find any drivers with this utility that is quite okay.

Driver Sweeper

ok i uninstalled the drivers, rebooted in safe mode, i installed and am running driver sweeper now, the categories that are related to NVidia are as follows:

Nvidia Chipset
Nvidia Display
Nvidia Physx

I've anaylsed and cleaned the 'chipset' category, no problems there, there were a few files detected.

When attempting to clean all the 'display' category (there were also a few files here), Driver Sweeper began not responding. eventually after closing down the problem, i ran DS again, when i analysed the Nvidia Display category there was 1 file left. It is the directory file. it won't let me delete it, everytime i try it, DS begins not responsing. Is there a problem here or will i just leave it?

And as for the Physx category, will i delete everything here too?

Thanks,

How is your system working at this point? What we wanted to deal with were the display drivers.

Check this link out and read (and print it out if need be). I just found it and I wish I had it for the last few years: http://www.playtool.com/pages/uninstallgraphics/uninstall.html

You may have to go back to Dell's website and reinstall your chipset drivers but that is not hard to do. Find your exact model and update all drivers for your system.

crap, i shudnt have deleted the chipset drivers. Damn! hopefully i can get em back

system is fine, ive just rebooted it in normal mode now, my system is detecting new hardware (vga compatible). will i just directly install the new update from nvidia that you asked me to do, or will i install the installshield thing that comes up instantly on startup?

There really shouldn't be any problem getting them back. I must admit I am breathing a sigh of relief that your system booted normally. :eek: I blame myself for not being more specific.

If need be, as I said before, let Dell scan your system and see what they suggest. Keep in mind not everything they suggest is critical.

The installshield will firts come and then the updates.

Problem Solved

The problem is no more! Thank you so much for your guidance.

I managed to download the Dell chipset drivers from their website, updated them. and updated the Nvidia drivers on my graphics card, gave a nice reboot, and voila, everything returned back to normal, no more blue screen of death. I am now thoroughly enjoying an online game of splinter cell: conviction.

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back