BSOD: STOP error 0x000000C2 - can't boot

Hi, I'm helping a friend whose PC won't boot. The PC is a Dell Dimension E520 running XP Media Center 2005, plenty of RAM and disk space.

The PC has worked fine for years and I've been promised that no software or hardware has been added for at least months (except the normal Windows updates etc).

PROBLEM: the PC passes the POST then displays a message that the user needs to repair Windows using the Dell O/S software and pressing "R".

After backing up his files (via Linux and an external HDD caddy via USB) I followed the suggestion but got a BSOD - just when Windows would normally start to be loaded:

BAD_POOL_CALLER
STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000043,0xC3C6A000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

1. Safe Mode also fails. After about 10 lines of code/filenames, the same old error message is displayed (about repairing Windows using the manufacturer's CD).
2. Choosing INSTALL on the Dell O/S CD generates the BSOD as soon as you accept the Microsoft licence (ie pressing F8).
3. Dell's Memory Test (on the O/S CD) is passed.
4. Dell's Test System option (on the O/S CD) is passed.

Can anyone please guide me through fixing this please?

Thanks in advance

Bad Pool Caller means that “An Attempt to free a memory pool that was already freed" was made, this can be result of

1. a faulty driver.

Are you running any firewall on this system?

I've seen this error code on XP systems running Zone Alarm, and in such instances only way around was to get rid of ZA.

2. It could be related to some issues with your RAM/hardware, please ensure that RAM is clean and there is not dust etc. on the contact edges. Secondly, download this MS util for testing memory along with guidelines.

Back