TechSpot

BSOD: Unmountable_Boot_Volume

By mynorsanchez
Jul 21, 2006
  1. Having perplexing problems with my latest BSOD!!!

When I restarted my computer today I got a "unmountable_boot_volume Stop:0x000000ED (0x82386590, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)" message. It's an XP Dell desktop, and I've followed what I think is every reasonable protocol for fixing the problem.

I've run chkdsk, which tells me the drive (120GB) is fine, but then when I run chkdsk /r it gets to between 25 and 50% (varies from occasion to occasion, and not always increasing...) before it tells me that "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems".

Now at one point I was able to access the directory structure (it usually tells me that "an error occured during directory enumeration") but then every file or directory I tried to open gave me an "access denied" message. It is a home computer, without any adminstrator passwords etc.

I've tried unplugging the hard drive, removing all the irrelevant peripherals, etc but that doesn't help. When I try to start windows in safe mode, it loads files up to "apg440.sys" then goes into the same BSOD I had before...

It might well be a hardware problem, but then why would chkdsk behave so erratically, and why would it be able to load system files up to a certain point in safe mode? If it is a software problem, then I can't get into safe mode to correct it, so sort of stuck in a rut.

Any help would be well appreciated!
    M

2. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

How did you run a chkdsk /r? If you booted off of the XP cd and used the recovery console do the same but run a FIXBOOT then try to restart the computer normally.

3. mynorsanchez

mynorsanchez TS Rookie Topic Starter

Update

Ok, I have now successfully run chkdsk after leaving it all night, and I can now see the directory structure (but not write or read any of the files or directories - "access denied") but now it seems there is no valid boot sector. The partitions seem fine, but when I "runbootcfg /scan" I get the following message "Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors."
    Thing is, I've already let chkdsk /r run its course, and now wondering whether fixboot might solve the problem, but worried about losing data. Since I can't read or write any of the files on the drive I can't back up the data that's there... Is fixboot safe to run?

4. mynorsanchez

mynorsanchez TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorted

Well, so I finally managed to get chkdsk to 75% and then tried starting windows normally after running fixboot and it worked. Going to back up all my docs now and do a format and clean install of XP and hopefully that will help.

5. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

Fixboot or fixmbr will not make you lose your data. A format will of course.

6. guido77

guido77 TS Rookie

I have the same isssue. How did you get the chkdsk /r scan to complete when it was giving you that "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems" error?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.