BSOD upon startup of Windows Vista Basic

Hello, this is my first post.

I am starting here on a negative issue ): and im sorry for that. But recently i have come across the error of getting a BSOD upon the startup of my Windows Vista Home Basic. My Laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ60. Here is the error:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000006,0x86A88655,0x8BB6BAC8,0x8BB6B7C4)

That is the Technical Error down the bottom. I have tried all the options"
-Safe Mode
-Safe Mode with Networking
-Safe Mode with Command Promt
-Last known Good Configuration
-Start Windows Normally

All these options result in a Blue Screen before the logon screen appears. If you need what i last did on the computer, i can not personally tell you as of i have forgotten. I also do not have a Windows Vista disc, this is because I never received one hence buying my Laptop. So if anyone can help me on what I need to do in order to get back to working on this laptop, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
GezzyMezzy

How old is your system, have you been infected recently, and do you know the manufacture of your harddrive?

Also, do you have the recovery disks?

How old is your system, have you been infected recently, and do you know the manufacture of your harddrive?

Also, do you have the recovery disks?
My system is about 3 years old. I don't think i have been infected, AVG 9.0 has been pretty good. I will pull the laptop apart and find out the HDD manufacture.

I do not have any recovery discs, like i said, they only gave me a laptop.

EDIT**: The manufacture of the HDD is Hitachi

Do the following on another system...

i. Go to Seagate's Website and find their free harddrive diagnostic utility called SeaTools for Windows

2. This will be in ISO file. Download it to the desktop.

3. Place a blank CD in the DVD drive, double click the ISO file and whatever burning program should pop up and you'll be able to burn said file to the CD.

Now do the following in your system...

4. Take the CD and place it in your DVD drive and boot-up. You may need to access the BIOS to place your DVD drive as First Bootable.

5. The utility will take over seconds after; there is no need for Windows to load. Run both the Short DST and especially the Long DST.

* Get back to us with the results.

Do the following on another system...

i. Go to Seagate's Website and find their free harddrive diagnostic utility called SeaTools for Windows

2. This will be in ISO file. Download it to the desktop.

3. Place a blank CD in the DVD drive, double click the ISO file and whatever burning program should pop up and you'll be able to burn said file to the CD.

Now do the following in your system...

4. Take the CD and place it in your DVD drive and boot-up. You may need to access the BIOS to place your DVD drive as First Bootable.

5. The utility will take over seconds after; there is no need for Windows to load. Run both the Short DST and especially the Long DST.

* Get back to us with the results.
Sorry for late response.

I will try this and get back to you with the results. So all im pretty much doing, is with a computer that is working in my household (This one) extract the ISO to a CD and then boot that CD up on the computer that isn't working? I think that is right what i just said, but it would be great to just double check with you.

Cheers,
Ryan

Yes, you are correct. Make sure you double click the ISO file first because that will open it and your burning program will burn it to a CD. I had someone just burn the ISO file to a CD without double clicking it and couldn't understand why the test wasn't working. :rolleyes:

Test Information and Results:

Started Long Test 8/16/2011 @ 14:15.41
Hitachi HTS543216L9A300 080923FB0200LCDNU7WB
Started Short DST 8/16/2011 @ 15:06.47
Short DST PASSED 8/16/2011 @ 15:08.49
Long Test PASSED 8/16/2011 @ 15:08.49

Hope this information here can carry on with your help :)

Cheers,
Ryan

Back