BSOD. Urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasakuzn

Hello Everybody,

Very often I receive a BSOD with the Stop Error
0x0000007F(0x0000008,0xBAB38D70, 0x000000, 0x000000)
or
0x0000007F(0x0000008,0x80042000, 0x000000, 0x000000)
It restarts OK, but BSOD will appear some days later again.
I never use overclocking.
I've reinstalled Windows XP on the new HDD (!) but BSOD is still with me.

I would be very indebted if somebody could tell me the reason.

I attach several minidumps here.

BugCheck 1000007F, {8, 80042000, 0, 0}
Probably caused by : ati2mtag.sys
ati2mtag.sys: ATI RAGE Miniport Driver

Just update your Video card drivers, or try different versions

Now I use ATI Radeon Omega Drivers v4.8.442. (the newest driver from Omega).
Indeed, BSOD doesn' reappear.
But there is a new minor problem.
When I start cold (only cold) computer, the screen blinks (becomes black for a moment) approximately 15 times (more or less).
This occurres when desktop icons appear on the wallpaper and when the autostart programs are loaded -
more or less at the same time when BSOD appeared with the older drivers.

Could you explain me, what does it mean, is it dangerous and how to fix this problem?

PS
Note also, that neither with the older drivers, nor with the new ones I could use the digital input to my monitor (Philips 190 B5). The problem again appears only when starting the cold computer. It looks as if monitor looses the digital input for a moment, and then the only way out is to swich to analog input.

When I start cold (only cold) computer, the screen blinks (becomes black for a moment) approximately 15 times (more or less).
This occurres when desktop icons appear on the wallpaper and when the autostart programs are loaded -
more or less at the same time when BSOD appeared with the older drivers.

Could you explain me, what does it mean, is it dangerous and how to fix this problem?

Hi, thanks for the update, and I'm glad to hear the ATI RAGE Miniport Driver crashes have now been resolved (due to using Omega Drivers) :grinthumb

I have not looked on the net for any possible issue with your monitor, but I do have an idea of the problem.
As Windows uses Plug and Play for 99% of all hardware devices found (on every bootup) It also sets the screen resolution and display area, not just to "last known configuration" and personal settings, but also freshly finds the display (during Windows startup) and draws all the icons and wallpaper (on the Desktop) and in doing so "refreshes" (basically resets) the display accordingly.

Now on the old CRT analog Monitors, most of these settings were held in the Monitors settings (and later OSD: On Screen Display) But the new (well they've been around a while now!) digital LCD monitors, use many of these settings from Windows and the driver's advanced display settings (also in Windows)

So as much as no one wants to admit it, there is a delay when all this refreshing and setting up happens, and some monitors (depending upon what digital settings have been applied ie Refresh rate; Size; and a multitude of other Personal settings) tend to basically go to standby (for a split second) waiting for these settings to catch up!

Yes the digital era is fast (and better) but nothing is just set in concrete anymore, and many newer Monitors (well Displays) fall when it comes to a split second (or less) drop in connectivity, due to Windows (and drivers) trying to get ready.

That's my take on all this. Also I've never seen anyone post this info before!

May be, once, i'll try some other video card with my motherboard,
but now there is no BSOD.
Black blinking is better than blue death...
As they say:
Scripting code of Wisdom,
Let it BLINK!

etc.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back