BSOD usbport.sys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vkblue

Hi!
throughout the last 2 weeks I have formatted 3 times. at first I was on vista and decided to install a game I once stopped playing. whenever I played this game, at random intervals it would crash my computer and I'd have to manually restart it via the case. then I went back to xp(sp3) hoping all would be well, to find myself getting blue screens left, right and centre. I only get the bsod's when playing the game. today I've had 5 mini dumps after constantly restarting after every blue screen.

I've noticed that one of the dumps(the 1st) refers to nv4_mini.sys which from my understanding is my nvidia graphics drivers? the other 4 all point to usbport.sys.
you'll find all 5 dumps attached to this thread.

all help will be greatly appreciated! I'm going mental with these bsod's, feel sorry my wireless keyboard and mouse. :dead:

Attachments

• Mini021709-vkblue.zip
    104.4 KB · Views: 5
Three of your errors are 0xB8: ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC
These are generally hardware issues (which often means driver issues). Concrete solutions are difficult to come by as per auhma.prg. As a rule, be sure you have the latest Service Pack edition of your Windows operating system [which you do]and are using the best device drivers and software versions. After that, do normal hardware troubleshooting for the device inplicated.

Okay, one did cite the nv4__mini.sys which as you noted is from Nvidia.

The other two cite usbport.sys which is an essential driver of your Windows OS and is too generalto be much help.

The other two errors are 0xD1 and these are caused by either faulty drivers or buggy software. Both cited usbport.sys.

So my suggestions are...

A. Video Card Drivers

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro (free version) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card that you want but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

B. Update your NIC drivers

* Get back to us with your results.

okay, all was going well until i reached step 4. i went into safe mode, ran driver cleaner pro which found and removed the little bits laying around. then when i rebooted and tried to double click the installation file for my graphics drivers, my computer freezes on me. I even tried rebooting god knows how many times. i tried opening control panel on a couple of occassions and it just wouldn't appear on my screen.
i was up for a good 2 hours last night but didn't succeed so this morning the best i could do is a system restore as it just wasn't working for me.
oh and also encountered another bsod on one restart. it also indicates ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC but this time refers to atapi.sys.

I read your minidump and atapi.sys is another Windows driver and belongs to the process IDE/ATAPI Port Driver.

Try this: Unhook your CD/DVD drive cables from your motherboard and try to reboot.

Also, if you can, do a harddrive diagnostics by utilizing the free utility provided by your harddrive manufacturer.

You might be looking at needing to do a Windows repair but that isn't difficult.

unhooked the cables to my dvd drive, restarted, no problems.

then downloaded western digital diagnostic tools as this is the manufacturer of the drive which contains my os. first i ran a quick test which performed a smart drive quick self-test, then followed by an extended test which performs a full media scan to detect any bad sectors. both passed.

when you mentioned my dvd drive, instantly i get more and more suspicious about it because my computer use to load up applications really slow(more or less pause on me) which i use to fix by opening my dvd drive? didn't quite make sense to me?

The thing that made me suspicious was when the atapi.sys showed up in your minidump. DVD/CD drives are known to go. How old is it?

hmmm, is a lightscribe sata drive, roughly 2 years old. i also remember that not too long ago, when viewing my drives via my computer, the optical drive would sometimes not be visible on there and as expected wouldn't read any discs. havn't had that problem for a while now though? this use to happen like last summer.

I have had these drives last as long as 5 years (some people longer but I have had people tell me that 5 years iws good). I have had them die on me in less than two years. Note how you don't get BSODs when it is "unplugged" so to speak.

It could be a firmware issue and maybe updating to the latest for that drive might work. But if you have to replace they are not expensive.

Keep us up to date on how you resolve this, i.e., firmware upgrade, new drive, etc.

yea i understand, i'll see if there's a firmware upgrade if not i'll just leave it unplugged as i don't really need it for the foreseeable future.
the only thing that i'm still a tad confused about is the first 5 dumps i posted were from bsod's i only recieved when playing the game. i literally had my computer on for a good 7 hours before i started playing the game. the first bsod come after about an hour, then i got one every 10 mins after a reboot.
the whole time i've been replying to you on here i havn't once loaded the game so i havn't been expecting a bsod.

so, best i test it while playing the game i suppose. i'll get back to you on the result!
appreciate all the help.

:wave:

to avoid bumping i just quoted the original post. :approve:
ok i'm back already on a different computer! sorry to dissapoint. :haha:
this time i'm currently avoiding the bsod's, most probably because i havn't had the chance to load the game. now i am experiencing a rundll error "An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NVstartup".
i believe this is to do with the nvidia drivers and this error most probably come round because of the system restore i previously did.

problem is that as soon as i even hover over something on the taskbar, it freezes it. then i will attempt to load something such as my computer from the desktop and nothing appears yet i am now left with a fully frozen computer. i get the feeling explorer.exe is playing me up and because of this i can't attempt to reinstall the drivers.

feel slightly dissapointed in myself not to think of this before, but i just uninstalled f-secure internet security 2009 and no longer does my desktop freeze. conflicting programs is always a possibility, i just didn't come to think of it as i use to use the 08 version which i had no problems with.
just downloading and installing latest nvidia drivers, then i'll load up the game, see how it goes. after all this time i may just be the latest realease of f-secure causing me chaos. :mad:

hello hello, it's me again.
my computer has been functioning superbly with the dvd drive disconnected. erm, obviously from the last post you know i removed f-secure internet security which played up on me but also have installed avg pro just a few hours ago. began to play my game and what do you know! blue screen of death!
have now uninstalled that and it seems to be working okay!
thought i'd attach the latest dump for you to look at! :D

Your error is 0xB8: ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC
These are generally hardware issues (which often means driver issues).

The driver cited is avgtdix.sys which belongs to AVG. Google it and you will see many people having issues with it. AVG used to be a great product but their latest version 8 has become bloated and problematic.

I would download and install RegCleaner and look at the Uninstall Tab, plus I would use the Search function. Is anything F-Secure still present? If it is you will have conflicts between the two. From what I know F-Secure is the better of the two producrts.

One other thing that may be of interest to you. The driver NVENETFD.sys was noted in the dump file as not being able to load due to the AVG driver. This is an Nvidia Networking Function driver and belongs to the software Nvidia nForce Networking Controller.

* I also notice how the BSOD's didn't occur until you started playing games. If the drive is bad that may be your answer. But it also could point to the fact you need to update or reinstall your video card drivers.

Just to give my thoughts:

Uninstall your AVG Antivirus
Then run the removal tool

Install Avira free AntiVirus (much better alternative)

And this one is most important. Uninstall uTorrent (file sharing program)
Otherwise you will likely (highly likely) be infected with Virus\Malware
By the way, this was the process that faulted on the Minidump ;)

Actually it would do wonders if you followed this: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions
But if you want to submit the logs, you will need to open a new thread in the Virus & Malware removal forum

How did I miss the uTorrent.exe?! Must be the eyes going. :blush: Thanks for stepping in kimsland.

If you are infected as kimsland is thinking you just might be it doesn't matter what security you've got because many infections are designed to hijack security software.

Hey I didn't realize I had the old version of Windebug too
I downloaded the newest version today, and wrote over the old one
I'm still using the Symbols I downloaded a while back though, I put them into C:\Symbols
So now it checks there and online at the same time :)

Don't mean to hijack your thread vkblue.

kimsland, will this automatically overright the debugger? Does it install newer symbols as well? I never knew they had so many version upgrades. Thanks for putting me on to this.

I think it did for mine, wait I'll check... Mine says ... hmm. My View -> Show Version is grayed out :confused:

I might uninstall it, and then re-install it again ;)

thanks for the replys guys.
i knew straight away you would pick up on utorrent.exe and i understand the risks that come with downloading torrents. i do use a heavily populated private tracker and the torrents are usually scanned by a number of power users to ensure there's no infections. BUT, then again, that doesn't mean anything i suppose, haha. :p

* I also notice how the BSOD's didn't occur until you started playing games. If the drive is bad that may be your answer. But it also could point to the fact you need to update or reinstall your video card drivers.

nvidia had just recently released new drivers for their geforce series, which was available on the 18th. I currently have them installed so i don't think i'm going to get any more up to date than that.

And this one is most important. Uninstall uTorrent (file sharing program)
Otherwise you will likely (highly likely) be infected with Virus\Malware

i currently run a few of the programs listed there such as malwarebytes and super antispyware and ccleaner so i suppose it won't hurt to go through the process.
you'll hear from me in the virus & malware removal forum, unless the bsod's still go on hehe. :dead:

Actually uTorrent is a respected program. Many large enterprises and websites state to use uTorrent to download their products
The issue is really, what's being downloaded, is the concern ;)
And then from that (and during) what sharing access have you enabled by other seeders?

Anyway, you know that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back