BSOD via USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is my first post here, so i hope i'm posting in the right section.

my computer runs completely as normal, except for the following. it boots fine, everything works fine, unless i connect via usb.

yesterday, i turned on my printer connected via usb and encountered a blue screen.

after a few trials and errors, i realized that whenever i plug anything in via usb, whether my printer, a flash drive, or something else, i immediately get a blue screen.

the weird part is this - on the bsod, there's really no message like there is on most blue screens.

it says

a problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer... then goes right on to say 'if this is the first time you've seen this...' without any kind of error code between phrases.

the stop error at the bottom says

"STOP: 0x0000007E (OxC0000005, 0xF70D395A, 0xF7CD37FA, OxF7CD34F0)"

this is about a 3 year old pentium 4 desktop running xp, 3.00ghz, 1gb ram.

anyone know what i can do?

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

So, we need your minidump files to halp determine further your issues. How to find your minidump files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files. It is these files we need. Attach them to your next post. You can take the latest five a put them in one Zip file.

Sorry for the delayed response. All your minidumps cite USBPORT.SYS as the problem which is a Windows Operating System driver. So try the following:

1. Run ChkDsk.

2. For a maintenance check run a harddrive diagnostic.

3. You may need to run a Windows repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back