BSOD when attempting to install Windows XP professional Edition on Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sal_118

Greetings to all:)

I'm in desperate need of help from those superior in knowledge and rank:p

Just a while ago I was given an HP Pavilion dv8327us notebook.

It would display the B.S.O.D. every time I attempted to boot up the machine...

I would get either this message: "CONFIG_INITIALIZATION_FAILED"
OR this one: "irql_not_less_or_equal"

I did some reading on the Microsoft site and came to the conclusion that reformatting the HDD, and reinstalling the OS would solve my problem.

now I get this nifty little thing: "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area"

I have tried reseating the RAM modules, tried with one or the other, and still I get the same Error:(

I'm completely stumped.
Can anyone please help me out?
It's a pretty sweet laptop, and beats the crap outta the ancient desktop I'm using right now...

Oh!!

here's some other cool stuff that might be useful!

-System Board I.D.~ 30A6
-BIOS version~ F.15
Notebook Model~ HP pavillion dv8000 (EZ706UA#ABA)

Also!! my ability to change settings in the CMOS/BIOS whatever it is, is really limited! I don't see where I can disable/enable settings related to my RAM:(

One of many things could be causing this. Video graphics driver is missing or defective. Download and install all drives from HP or from the HP disc. Memory module is faulty. Or hard drive is bad.
If you have Windows XP, there are 34 possible downloads for that machine on the www.hp.com website.. As many as 18 may require installation. The most important ones for this error are the correct video graphics driver, audio driver, and chipset.
Follow the directions EXACTLY.
If it is the hard drive, you can buy one for $40 to $65 online and install it yourself if you are handy with a screwdriver, and you have the original recovery disk set.

How would I do that?

don't I need to install an OS first?
I can't get into the setup portion of the installation.
I can format and copy the files, but upon reboot, I get the B.S.O.D.

I'm gonna attempt to run it with different RAM modules, from another HP laptop in the house later. I'll let you guys know how that went.

Also!!

despite not being able to mess with the RAM settings, I was able to run Disk Diagnostics on the HDD's. Both passed the quick and comprehensive and S.M.A.R.T. tests...so what else could be the problem?

Ummm...just in case it makes any difference, I'm using an SP2 disk...could that be the problem? it could be updated drivers or a different build, what do you guys think?

Anyways, all help will be appreciated! the faster I can get this Laptop up the better!!

No, the SP2 disk would not be the problem, but if the disk was not made specifically for that model or series of computer, then you need to be sure you have downloaded and installed all the correct updates as soon as allowed.
You might have to install them in SAFE MODE... particularly the CHIPSET, and the Video Graphics drivers... but really all the drives for the components on your computer... from either the computer manufacturers website, or the motherboard manufacturer's website

Well I can't install anything until I get the OS installed right?

So if I can't get passed this Blue Screen, then I can't install any of it's drivers!

I tried with a vista disk(the laptop can run vista)
and I get another B.S.O.D.

I have a cousin who has the exact same model Laptop, and he says he will bring me the disk he used to install XP on it.

Could it be that only a disk meant for installation of XP pro on this laptop will work?
would that be because the drivers for everything would already be on the disk?

Well my cousin hasn't brought that disk in yet, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? also, does anyone know of any disk diagnostics tools/apps that can be booted off a cd/dvd or a USB drive? I just got the feeling that the disk analysis through BIOS is screwing with me...I want to really make sure they are working, both of them.

Download UBCD4WIN you will need an windows xp sp2 cd to create the boot cd but it will boot a virtual windows. What error code do you get on the BSOD.

I'll certainly give that a try!

also, by an error code, you mean this thing right?

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE5096008, 0x00000000, 0x80635CFE, 0x00000002)

Umm...the UBCD4WIN thing, I almost figured out how to do it, but I wanted to know if and how I could include the drivers for the notebook on the Disk, or how I could install the drivers for it...also, I think I might know which piece of hardware could be causing my problem...the notebook has a an extra number pad, like the one on a regular keyboard, you know? the ones that look like telephone dials... and there is a set of Texas Instrument drivers on the driver downloads for my Laptop. Could that be it? I can see why my XP cd wouldn't have Texas Instrument drivers on it...

you do not need to add the drivers there has not been one time that i need it to custom make a cd for a certain computer just do the defualt. Can you post a picture of what you are talking about "telephone dials"

I'll get a photo up A.S.A.P.

but I think that isn't the problem, I think I will be fine, just need some help using the UBCD4WIN disk, I get into the virtual windows and stuff, but I have no clue as to how I can install windows XP from there...

first load cd it will show you a blue screen. Select load ultimate boot cd. Now it will load the virtual OS from there you will see a little box. Let the time run out it will load the default settings then it will ask if you want network support this is just so you can activate the Lan card or wireless card. Thats how to start it now what do you want to do. Reinstall windows, what you can do is delete the wireless driver this way if that is the problem you can start windows.

Ok, I kinda get get I need clearer instructions, What I want to do is simply install a clean copy of Microsoft windows xp professional edition, so how do I go about doing this? using the UBCD4WIN disk.

If the number pad you are talking about is not built into the laptop...

You need to unplug it and any other usb devices before you can proceed with an install.

I've already used Memtest and used the Dban disk cleaner thing...everything should be fine, I just want to know where I could get a copy of an original XP pro CD, I don't need a key. I have my own. I just want an original not the ones I keep finding that have all this extra crap. Because when I try to run the setup in the UBCD4WIN I get this error saying WINNT32.EXE is not in this directory. I used the windows files off of a disk built by my cousin, but his is all customized and crap and it has a ton of extra stuff and even a cool looking splash screen, plus my key will not work with his copy, so I need to get an ISO or the files that are supposed to be on an original, unmodified, untampered windows Xp Professional installer disk. Any ideas on where I can get one?

and the number-pad thing is built in on this laptop, and it turns on by itself(the little blue light on the button) on start-up.

but I found out that the Texas Instruments driver things are for the bus thing or something like that, anyways. not the keyboard!

acquiring a copy out here where I live isn't easy:[

the closest place I could purchase one is 42 miles away:[
Any ideas as to where I could get a disk?

Okay...I'm in the setup as I'm typing and at the top it asks me for the "Windows XP setup Files Path:"

What am I looking for? Every folder I try gives me and error saying: "WINNT32.EXE does not exist in the selected folder. Please Select a folder containing valid windows setup files.

The path is where the setup files are. The setup starts from that location, and installs them to a standard place, unless you are using a created disk.

I am using the Ultimate boot disk for windows, can copy the files from a XP cd to a usb drive and use that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back