BSOD when playing games on W7

Knuckles91

I'm a big gamer and I recently bought a new gaming rig. I'm not the most computer savvy guy but i do know a fair bit. I originally used my old video card and hard drive but just got new ones. Ever since I got this new computer it crashes at least once a day, usually when playing games (not always). It seems that the more intense the game, the sooner it crashes. I thought this indicated a temperature problem, but after downloading programs to monitor my temp, it never goes much higher than 55 celsius, so I ruled that out. Then i thought it may be my video card or hard drive, as they are about 6-7 years old. After replacing those and reinstalling windows I still get these blue screens. Sometimes at the bottom it's a "STOP" error with the random numbers and x's, and sometimes it says a few other things like "USBPORT.SYS". After weeks of trying to figure this out i'm out of ideas... I'm frustrated beyond reason at this point and any help would be so greatly appreciated.

My computer specs are:
Power Supply - 650W, Max output: 780W
Motherboard - ASUS P5QL/EPU FSB O.C. 1600
Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar SATA 400GB
Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5GHz
RAM - 2GB DDR2 800MHz Kingston
Video Card - Nvidia GeForce GTS 450
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)

Edit: I just read my motherboard box and on it it says "DDR2 1066 [O.C.]". I'm not quite sure what that means, but perhaps my RAM is incompatible? I hope this info helps, thanks.

The OC designation means the memory must be manually overclocked in order to reach 1600 speed. Do the following...

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

I only have one minidump file, as i just installed my new hard drive today. I tried uploading it but it says I don't have permission to access the file and must contact an administrator. My account is an admin account though.. O.o

I followed the instructions, granted ownership to my user account, it says my account has full access. I can move the file, delete it, do anything but open it, just tells me access is denied :( dunno what's wrong

My computer has crashed 3 times but I only got one report for some reason.. I just started up in safe mode and it let me upload it :) had to zip it up cause it was over 200kb. thanks a lot for helping me with this.

Attachments

• $RT30HV5.zip
    23.3 KB · Views: 2
The only thing definitively cited is hardware but in light of your issues I want you to try the following:

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

*** Also, find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

heh sorry but i don't know exactly how to uninstall my drivers in windows 7, went to control panel/hardware and sound, i thought that's where it was but couldn't find it

edit: nevermind i found it. also, how do i check the voltage specs?

Kingston will have the voltage specs for your memory. Once you find it then go into the BIOS and look for VDIMM. Does the voltage set in the BIOS match the designed voltage specs of your memory?

Driver Sweeper definitely helped, I was able to make it through 4 levels in call of duty (normally I cant get past 1). I was convinced it was fixed but then another stupid BSOD :mad: I went in to my BIOS but can't find VDIMM, I checked the power menu but it wasn't in there, skimmed through the other menus and can't seem to find it.. Sorry for being such a bother, I can't thank you enough for this help.

No problem, no bother in the least. First things first, attach your latest minidump. Also, what make is your gaming rig?

It is an 0xA error and these are either caused by hardware or a driver attempting to address a higher IRC Level that they shouldn't resulting in system crashes. Nothing definitive was cited.

How old is your system and is it still under warranty? Who built it?

system is still under warranty, it's about 5 months old, been having these BSOD problems since i got it, my brother ordered the parts and built it.

Back