BSOD when returning from Standby Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be a little premature in posting this item. I say that because I was reading the post about uploading the MiniDumps and the suggestions to try beforehand and one of them sounds like it could potentially solve my problem but I do not want try that one until I get home. The one that sounds promising is the item about getting rid of the paging space and then running defrag and creating a new paging space.

Here's the problem:

As I leave from work to head home or going from home to work, I generally place my Dell laptop running XP SP3 in STANDBY mode to make for a quicker boot when getting to my destination. At work, I use the laptop in a Dell Docking Station w/ attached mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.

The other day while rushing to leave work, I placed the laptop in STANDBY mode but in my haste, did not wait for the laptop to completely get there. Instead, I just simply undocked it while it was performing the STANDBY steps. I immediately opened the screen, and redid the shutdown options and selected normal TURN OFF option. When I got home, I booted at some point and all was fine. I placed the computer in STANDBY. Later on, I opened the laptop and it came out of STANDBY mode and to the Login screen. Entered my password and got the BSOD w/ PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA message. This has happened to me everytime that I have tried to use Stand By mode since the undocking. Also happened w/ an attempt to use Hibernate. The laptop consistently gets this BSOD error.

I've got thru the CHKDSK and MEMTEST programs but both said things were fine there. I reinstalled the original hard drive into the machine which I still had loaded w/ XP after an disk upgrade sometime back. When testing the return from STANDBY w/ that OS, it worked fine which makes me think I might have corrupted the Paging File.

I also loaded a software package upgrade that day but I have since removed it to see if it made a difference. I don't think anything else got loaded that day though.

I am going to upload my last 2 or 3 MiniDumps and will try the defrag w/ the Paging File set to 0 later this evening unless someone sees something in the MiniDump to suggest something else to try first.

Thanks
Mark

First, I would run Disk Cleanup to ensure adequate space to create the restart files.
Run->cleanmgr

Also the hiberate file is at \hiberfil.sys :: with an admin login, just delete the file and
empty the Recycle Bin

Then I would use a MANUAL Start->Turn Off->Standby with the laptop still open
(you can also get to ->Hibernate with <shift>click on Turn Off-> )

I tried two different things over night.

First I tried to delete the Hibernate file but was told that the file was in use. So I went to Safe Mode but the file was not there. Rebooted back to normal and retested Hibernate Mode but it still BSODed on restart w/ the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA message. Also, I normally do not have Hibernated enabled on the Control Panel as I don't use that mode and only turned it ON after I started having problems coming out of STANDBY. (I've disabled the Hibernate option this morning.)

Next, I tried the suggestion via the BEFORE YOU UPLOAD post that said to disable Paging Space, defrag, re-enable Paging Space, and retest problem. I tried that and it did not help either. I am still getting the BSOD on return from STANDBY.

I am attaching the last couple of MiniDump files.

Thanks
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back