TechSpot

BSOD when returning from Standby Mode

By markparr
May 14, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I might be a little premature in posting this item. I say that because I was reading the post about uploading the MiniDumps and the suggestions to try beforehand and one of them sounds like it could potentially solve my problem but I do not want try that one until I get home. The one that sounds promising is the item about getting rid of the paging space and then running defrag and creating a new paging space.

Here's the problem:

As I leave from work to head home or going from home to work, I generally place my Dell laptop running XP SP3 in STANDBY mode to make for a quicker boot when getting to my destination. At work, I use the laptop in a Dell Docking Station w/ attached mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.

The other day while rushing to leave work, I placed the laptop in STANDBY mode but in my haste, did not wait for the laptop to completely get there. Instead, I just simply undocked it while it was performing the STANDBY steps. I immediately opened the screen, and redid the shutdown options and selected normal TURN OFF option. When I got home, I booted at some point and all was fine. I placed the computer in STANDBY. Later on, I opened the laptop and it came out of STANDBY mode and to the Login screen. Entered my password and got the BSOD w/ PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA message. This has happened to me everytime that I have tried to use Stand By mode since the undocking. Also happened w/ an attempt to use Hibernate. The laptop consistently gets this BSOD error.

I've got thru the CHKDSK and MEMTEST programs but both said things were fine there. I reinstalled the original hard drive into the machine which I still had loaded w/ XP after an disk upgrade sometime back. When testing the return from STANDBY w/ that OS, it worked fine which makes me think I might have corrupted the Paging File.

I also loaded a software package upgrade that day but I have since removed it to see if it made a difference. I don't think anything else got loaded that day though.

I am going to upload my last 2 or 3 MiniDumps and will try the defrag w/ the Paging File set to 0 later this evening unless someone sees something in the MiniDump to suggest something else to try first.

Thanks
    Mark
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,407   +314

First, I would run Disk Cleanup to ensure adequate space to create the restart files.
    Run->cleanmgr

Also the hiberate file is at \hiberfil.sys :: with an admin login, just delete the file and
    empty the Recycle Bin

Then I would use a MANUAL Start->Turn Off->Standby with the laptop still open
    (you can also get to ->Hibernate with <shift>click on Turn Off-> )
  3. markparr

markparr TS Rookie Topic Starter

I tried two different things over night.

First I tried to delete the Hibernate file but was told that the file was in use. So I went to Safe Mode but the file was not there. Rebooted back to normal and retested Hibernate Mode but it still BSODed on restart w/ the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA message. Also, I normally do not have Hibernated enabled on the Control Panel as I don't use that mode and only turned it ON after I started having problems coming out of STANDBY. (I've disabled the Hibernate option this morning.)

Next, I tried the suggestion via the BEFORE YOU UPLOAD post that said to disable Paging Space, defrag, re-enable Paging Space, and retest problem. I tried that and it did not help either. I am still getting the BSOD on return from STANDBY.

I am attaching the last couple of MiniDump files.

Thanks
    Mark
  4. markparr

markparr TS Rookie Topic Starter

Today: reloaded SP3 but that did not make a difference.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.