TechSpot

BSOD when trying to update Windows

By Cutman
Jun 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi everyone,

I recently built a new system (like a month ago) and everything seemed fine at first and then I suddenly got 2 or 3 random BSOD while playing Diablo but everything else was running smooth. Afterward I got another while downloading something with steam (wasn't even using the computer).
    It was kind of hard to get a BSOD at that point but right now I am able to get it every time I try to update Windows (I did all the updates successfully when I installed windows at first).

I am not sure where to start looking at.... I think it might be related to my network adapter or maybe my SSD drive but I am not really good at analyzing minidump so here I am!

Here's what in the system:
    - Video card :
    EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Superclocked
    - Ram :
    Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB
    - Motherboard:
    ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
    - CPU :
    Intel Core i5 3570K
    - HDD:
    Western Digital 2TB
    - SSD:
    OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
    - Power supply : Corsair TX750 V2
    - Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits

Drivers are up to date, Windows is not since I can't update it anymore :/
    I also did prime95 torture test for like 2 hours and everything was fine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,222   +231

I know many of you love ASUS by why? The minidumps are all the same. Non discript... I'm running a 60GB Kingston SSD drive as a back up with no problems. The OCZ might be your problem. Is is set on a SATA 3 port as AHCI in the bios?

3. Cutman

Cutman TS Rookie Topic Starter

SATA is configured as AHCI which is the default on this motherboard.

SATA 3 port is my DVD drive ASUS DRW-24B1ST (I am not really an ASUS fan by the way...)
    The OCZ is on SATA 1 port and this is my primary drive for programs (Windows installed on it).

Since you say the minidump are not really helpulf :(
    Here's a bit more info from the event viewer that might be interesting!

On every boot I get this Error: \SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

Followed by this warning : The driver \Driver\GEARAspiWDM failed to load for the device IDE\CdRomASUS_DRW-24B1ST___c_____________________1.05____\5&30a253e9&0&2.0.0.

Do you think this can be related? You mentioned SATA 3 port and it is in fact my dvd drive....
    I am gonna check online if I can find anything on this....
    Also, I am not really using the dvd drive and I don't see how it can screw me on Windows update!!

Anyway thanks a lot!!

One more thing that might be related is a warning that seem to happen randomly and that doesn't look that good at all :/
    I got like 20 of this over a month period.

Source: WHEA-Logger EventID: 19

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
    Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
    Error Type: Internal parity error
    Processor ID: 6

The details view of this entry contains further information.

By the way I am not overclocked, everything is set on default settings...

4. Tmagic650

Do you see any exclamation points in the device manager?

5. Cutman

Yes I do :confused:

Under Other devices: PCI Simple Communications Controller

To be honest I don't know what this device could be... drivers are missing and I see that Location is PCI bus 0, device 22, function 0

DVD drive is listed and appears to be fine in device manager

Well from what I gathered I seem to be missing the
    Intel Management Engine Interface driver.
    However, I am not able to install it because the setup fail for some reason :(

I have read online at some places that this driver is important and at some other that it isn't so I am not sure what to think of this...

6. Tmagic650

Yes that's it. You should be able to get it from the motherboards support website. I have that on mine too

7. Cutman

Well like I said the installation was reported has failed but it seem to be installed properly anyway :eek:

There is now no exclamation points in the device manager!!

Do you think this was my problem??
    Also what about the others stuff I have in the event viewer like WHEA-Logger which is really bugging me...

Thanks!

8. Tmagic650

If the computer is running normally, relax and enjoy it

9. Cutman

Well I taught that was it but sadly it isn't since I just got the BSOD again ( I managed to update Windows somehow).

I am now thinking that this is related to the WHEA-Logger warning which happened just before my BSOD and a couple of times today too. I got that warning 23 times in last 24 hour which seem more then before...

Not sure what to think of this and would gladly take your input ;)

Thanks

10. Tmagic650