TechSpot

BSOD when trying to update Windows

By Cutman
Jun 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi everyone,

I recently built a new system (like a month ago) and everything seemed fine at first and then I suddenly got 2 or 3 random BSOD while playing Diablo but everything else was running smooth. Afterward I got another while downloading something with steam (wasn't even using the computer).
    It was kind of hard to get a BSOD at that point but right now I am able to get it every time I try to update Windows (I did all the updates successfully when I installed windows at first).

I am not sure where to start looking at.... I think it might be related to my network adapter or maybe my SSD drive but I am not really good at analyzing minidump so here I am!

Here's what in the system:
    - Video card :
    EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Superclocked
    - Ram :
    Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB
    - Motherboard:
    ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
    - CPU :
    Intel Core i5 3570K
    - HDD:
    Western Digital 2TB
    - SSD:
    OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
    - Power supply : Corsair TX750 V2
    - Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits

Drivers are up to date, Windows is not since I can't update it anymore :/
    I also did prime95 torture test for like 2 hours and everything was fine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,075   +169

I know many of you love ASUS by why? The minidumps are all the same. Non discript... I'm running a 60GB Kingston SSD drive as a back up with no problems. The OCZ might be your problem. Is is set on a SATA 3 port as AHCI in the bios?

3. Cutman

Cutman TS Rookie Topic Starter

SATA is configured as AHCI which is the default on this motherboard.

SATA 3 port is my DVD drive ASUS DRW-24B1ST (I am not really an ASUS fan by the way...)
    The OCZ is on SATA 1 port and this is my primary drive for programs (Windows installed on it).

Since you say the minidump are not really helpulf :(
    Here's a bit more info from the event viewer that might be interesting!

On every boot I get this Error: \SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

Followed by this warning : The driver \Driver\GEARAspiWDM failed to load for the device IDE\CdRomASUS_DRW-24B1ST___c_____________________1.05____\5&30a253e9&0&2.0.0.

Do you think this can be related? You mentioned SATA 3 port and it is in fact my dvd drive....
    I am gonna check online if I can find anything on this....
    Also, I am not really using the dvd drive and I don't see how it can screw me on Windows update!!

Anyway thanks a lot!!

One more thing that might be related is a warning that seem to happen randomly and that doesn't look that good at all :/
    I got like 20 of this over a month period.

Source: WHEA-Logger EventID: 19

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
    Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
    Error Type: Internal parity error
    Processor ID: 6

The details view of this entry contains further information.

By the way I am not overclocked, everything is set on default settings...

4. Tmagic650

Do you see any exclamation points in the device manager?

5. Cutman

Yes I do :confused:

Under Other devices: PCI Simple Communications Controller

To be honest I don't know what this device could be... drivers are missing and I see that Location is PCI bus 0, device 22, function 0

DVD drive is listed and appears to be fine in device manager

Well from what I gathered I seem to be missing the
    Intel Management Engine Interface driver.
    However, I am not able to install it because the setup fail for some reason :(

I have read online at some places that this driver is important and at some other that it isn't so I am not sure what to think of this...

6. Tmagic650

Yes that's it. You should be able to get it from the motherboards support website. I have that on mine too

7. Cutman

Well like I said the installation was reported has failed but it seem to be installed properly anyway :eek:

There is now no exclamation points in the device manager!!

Do you think this was my problem??
    Also what about the others stuff I have in the event viewer like WHEA-Logger which is really bugging me...

Thanks!

8. Tmagic650

If the computer is running normally, relax and enjoy it

9. Cutman

Well I taught that was it but sadly it isn't since I just got the BSOD again ( I managed to update Windows somehow).

I am now thinking that this is related to the WHEA-Logger warning which happened just before my BSOD and a couple of times today too. I got that warning 23 times in last 24 hour which seem more then before...

Not sure what to think of this and would gladly take your input ;)

Thanks

10. Tmagic650

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.