BSOD when using 2 monitors

By agour
Apr 17, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basically, I tried plugging in a TV as a second monitor, but whenever I switch my TV over to HDMI input, my PC will BSOD.
    I have tried about 6 different sets of drivers, all of which either didnt work properly (fuzzy screen etc), or would BSOD still. I checked most of the dumps, they have the same error

You think its a faulty card?

Also, when I used the monitors switchewd over (TV as main, pc monitor as secondary), the PC would bluescreen when the monitor was turned on, which suggests a hardware error to me..

I attatched a mini dump anyway..
    I did a clean install of the drivers using driver cleaner; didnt help.

Im now running memtest through, is it OK that I have left all 4 sticks of ram in to do it; would it be better to do them 1 at a time?

If this comes up negative, im going to run spybot through, and try cleaning my PC (some of the fans are a little dusty, though I doubt this is the problem).
  2. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 Newcomer, in training Posts: 563

hi agour

How much RAM do you have installed on your system? I think we're gonna try changing the size of your swap file (virtual memory) a little to see if you problem stops. Seems to me like the system is trying to access more memory but cannot due to the limit on the swap. Let me know the size and we'll take it from there.

Spyder_1386 :)
  3. agour

agour Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 26

Hey,
    Im on 4 gig atm (on XP too, so it only recognises 3.5gig). From memory my page file (same thing isnt it?) is set to 2gig minimum, 4 gig max.
    Memtest is halfway through the 6th pass, and hasnt found any errors, so I guess im fine stopping it now?
  4. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 Newcomer, in training Posts: 563

Hi agour

Are you running any memory intensive programs in the back as well? Read through this document and see what they advise as well .... http://computermemoryupgrade.mysuperpc.com/virtual_memory_swap_file_size.shtml .... increase the limit little by little to see if the BSODs stop. They might not, in which case we'll have to try something else ....

I would first try doubling the minimum to 4gig and doubling the max to 8gig....

Spyder_1386 :)
  5. agour

Ok, I will let this last pass complete, then give it a bash.

Theres nothing is using lots of memory, plus I can get the BSOD as soon as I have restarted my pc (if I turn the other monitor on).

Ill let you know how the increasing page file fares.

increades to 5000-8000 (windows recommended 5000)
    still bluescreens

Should I continue increasing in say 2gig steps?

Oh, 3 hdd's in my pc; should I spread the page file across these?

on 12000 - 15000 (lol) my pc STILL bluescreens :mad:

bump =]

messagetooshort
  6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I think my BSODs in Win7 are related to this, too. It crashes every time I turn on my main monitor on my GeForce card. In other words, I can boot fine, I can turn off the display, but if I turn it back on again, BSOD.

Tried with 181.71 and 182.50 drivers.

12 GB RAM, no swap file.
  7. agour

Eugh, Ive tried using loads of different methods of getting it to work using the tv-out socket, no chance.

Ive been doing some reading, is there a chance it is to do with my ram voltages/timings being set up incorrectly?
  8. agour

Fresh format didnt work. I literally only installed windows and the latest Nvidia drivers..
    Going to try another GFX card tomorrow, see if it works.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.