BSOD when watching streaming video. Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

preppe1

Hello, i randomly get BSOD's when i watch streaming video for some reason. This is what the error says:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 8054bf87, parameter3 b0ed745c, parameter4 00000000.View attachment 45624

0x8E errors are almost always caused by hardware issues and often point to corrupted memory. The problem is we don't have enough information right now to make even an educated guess.

i did a memory test with 9 passes for each memory stick i have. No errors were found. What other information should i provide to help this problem. Thanks

What would help is if you:

A. Give your system specs along with your OS and security software that you are running.

B. Are these BSODs occuring at any other time than video streaming?

Thanks for the reply:

My system specs: Windows xp, service pack 3, intel pentium m processor 1.6GHz, 1.98 GB of RAM

Security System: I was running Mcafee, but i recently uninstalled it thinking that was the problem.

I haven't noticed BSODs on any other occasion.

I have belarc advisor. Is there any other information i can provide for you to help?

Have you only experienced a BSOD once? As for McAfee there are much better options. Did you replace it with anything (and not Norton or AVG)?

No, I have experienced it about five times. I have not replaced mcafee with any other program yet. What do you suggest?

First, in your next post attach your five latest minidump files.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Better Security Options for Your System:

Paid Antivirus - Kaspersky, NOD32; both are excellent.

Free Antivirus - Avast 4.8, Avira; they have $ versions but their free are really good

Paid and Free Firewall - Online Armor

Free Firewall - COMODO

Antispyware/malware

Free and $ - SuperAntispyware -- excellent; free you need to manually update definitions.

$ - Malwarebytes -- excellent.

I personally run the following $ versions: NOD32, Online Armor, and SAS but I am a big proponent of the layered method as opposed to having all my protection in one suit.

Any of the combinations will work very fine and take up less resources than your McAfee. COMODO will take some tweaking by you and I am not sure if Online Armor has a Vista ready version yet but I would be suprised if they didn't.

Keep this rule always to the forefront: If your security software has resident protection (always working in the back ground) then one antivirus, one firewall, and one antispyware/software OR just one security suit.

One minidump specifically cited Memory Corruption. So...

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Also, run ChkDsk in your Run Box and tell us if in stage 2 it states it recovered lost files.

Scan for infections. Use ESET's NOD32 free online scanner.

Plus, what version of Firefox are you running? The firefox.exe was cited in 4 of 5 minidumps not as the cuase but it was mentioned under the Process category.

The first time I ran Chkdsk, it returned with a number of returned files. Before I was able to write down the information, the program quickly closed. I decided to run the program again, but it didn't return any files the second time.

I ran the most recent version of memtest, testing my memory sticks one at a time. The first memory stick went through 13 passes and here is the information collected:

Test: 7
pass: 2
count: 1
failing address: 00000ebefa8 - 14.8 MB
Good: 74019e81
Bad: 74009e81
Err-bits: 00010000

I haven't tested the other memory stick yet. I will post that information on my next post.

Okay, so what we have learned is a) Check Disk has recovered some lost files. That is good (and, yes, it goes real fast). And b) at least one memory stick is bad. Any errors on memory and it needs to be replaced.

I'm having problems testing the other memory stick. For some reason, in the middle of a test, my computer shuts off. I've tried this three time now, and same result

I'm having problems testing the other memory stick. For some reason, in the middle of a test, my computer shuts off. I've tried this three time now, and same result

That is a telling sign your memory stick is bad. It has happened to me as you describe. To make sure take out this stick and place the other one back in. What are the results?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back