BSOD whenever rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremyn

Hello,
In the past couple of days, whenever I start my computer, I get the BSOD (the stop:0x0000007e code).
I was lurking through a number of websites on another comp to try and find a solution, but the suggestions weren't working.
I'm unable to restore my system without the disk, and I can't access my hard drive to reinstall Windows.
I don't know how to update my bios, and any descriptions I've seen didn't look feasible.
Another option I've seen suggested is to log onto safe mode, but whenever I try to do so, I get the BSOD as well (with every option in safe mode), so that won't work either.

My hardware looks to be fine, computer temperature is fine, and hard drive should have plenty of space available (I did get a virus last week, but even if it downloaded a lot of spyware to my hard drive, it shouldn't have filled up 80+ gigs worth).

I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to computers, so I'm not sure what to do about this, and I apologize if this sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about or what I'm doing, because I pretty much don't.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm in pretty much the exact same boat. I hope they can help one of us, if I get anywhere with this I'll let you know =)

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms795746.aspx
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

Is this possible via Recovery Console or BIOS?

Method 2: Update the computer BIOS
If freeing space on your hard disk did not resolve the problem, the BIOS might have to be updated. Use the hardware and software vendor contact information articles that are listed in the "References" section to contact the computer manufacturer to obtain the most recent BIOS update.

Note When you update the BIOS, you might have to disable BIOS memory options, such as caching or shadowing, temporarily.

Tomorrow I am going to try...

Method 3: Disable or update device drivers
If you have updated the BIOS successfully and the problem persists, the video adapter drivers on the computer might have to be updated or disabled. Follow these steps to troubleshoot the video adapter drivers:

1. If a driver is listed by name in the Stop error message, disable or remove that driver.
* If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition uses the NTFS file system, you might be able to use safe mode to rename or to delete the faulty driver.
* If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in safe mode, you must use the Recovery Console to start the computer.
2. If the Stop error message does not indicate a specific driver, update the video adapter drivers to the latest versions.
3. Disable or remove any drivers or services that you recently added.
4. Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) to determine whether the PCI devices in the computer are compatible with Windows XP. For information about the HCL, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx)

Method 4: Remove unsigned drivers
If you have updated the video adapter drivers and the problem persists, or if you cannot start Windows in safe mode, the problem might be caused by a different, unsigned driver. Remove all drivers that are not digitally signed by Microsoft. For more information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
316434 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434/ ) How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
Method 5: Remove all third-party drivers
You might be unable to determine which third-party driver causes the error. If removing unsigned drivers does not resolve the issue, try moving all third-party driver files from the %Windir%\System32\Drivers folder to a different location. Follow these steps to move the third-party driver files:

1. Use the Recovery Console to start the computer, or start the computer from a different installation of Windows if you have performed a parallel Windows installation.
2. Create a temporary folder to hold the driver files. For example, you could create c:\DriverTemp.
3. Move all files that do not have a creation date for Windows XP of 8/13/2001 from the %Windir%\System32\Drivers folder into the temporary folder that you created in step 2.

Caution If the computer relies on third-party IDE or SCSI controller drivers for correct operation, you must identify those driver files and then leave them in the %Windir%\System32\Drivers folder.
4. Restart the computer.
5. Continue the Windows Setup program. You can add the driver files back to the computer one at a time to identify the faulty driver.

Method 6: Remove third-party remote control services
If you still have the problem after you use the previous methods and the Stop error message contains the Win32k.sys file name instead of a driver file name, the problem might be caused by a third-party remote control program. To remove the service, use the Recovery Console to start the computer and then delete the third-party remote control service file.

But considering the context of the issue, I am doubtful that any of these methods will work.

Edit: Thank you WinXPert =) I am trying that right now before I go to bed =)

(can't reply to PMs for another 19 posts)

Hokai, so far, this is the farthest I've gotten in 5 days... I created a new partition on my Hard Drive in the Recovery Console, then installed Windows onto it. I'm currently inside my computer, and am going to use this laptop and a USB drive to start this 8-Step Process.

Because I was able to access the computer via the new partition I know a few things... One... it is not BIOS related, Two it is not HARD DISK related.

It could possibly be Graphics Card related but I HIGHLY doubt that, considering the Virus that caused all of this nonsense.

You may wish to travel down the same path I have taken here, if so, best of luck ^_^

I haven't tried the last suggestion yet, so I will get to it either later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions so far!

hmmm, haven't been able figure out how to make a new partition or access the recovery console.
What I might try to do is install Linux, and see if that helps at all.
Is it possible to do this through system recovery or something like that?

The way that I accessed the recovery console was by going into the BIOS and selecting the Boot order to be Removable/CD/Hard Disk. Then, putting in my Windows XP Installation CD. When it says "Press any key to boot from CD" I press a key. After it loads up, you will get a selection. Pressing R will take you to the Recovery Console.

From there, run CHkDsk /p and ChkDsk /r (/r takes a long time).

If both of those are good, you will know two things: That your Hard Disk is alright, and how much space you have.

To make a partition, you will use the command DISKPART If you type HELP DISKPART it will give you instructions. If you type DISKPART alone it will walk you through the process. I used 30000 (MB) for my Partition (Which is 30GB).

After you have created the Partition, you can EXIT, which will restart your computer, and then Boot from CD again, this time choosing ENTER instead of R and creating a new install of Windows on your Partition. You will have to Format it first, but no worries, because the Partition is already empty, so you won't be erasing anything.

You will need your Certificate of Authentication (Windows CD Key) for this.

What this will allow you to do is...

You will be able to explore the C:\ drive without any of the programs or viruses on the C:\ drive being active.

What you won't be able to do is mess with the registry of the C:\ Drive Installation of Windows, or scan which processes it runs.

You can, however, inspect your files, scan them with an antivirus program, and recover them.

I recommend being very thorough in your inspections of folders and files before bringing them over. Check all of their properties, for example, look at all hidden folders, make sure there are no bizarre users under the security tab in properties... etc.

I don't have the Windows XP installation disk.
Either never came with my laptop, or I lost it.

Is there any way to download it from another computer to a flash drive, and boot it from that?
If so, how do I go about doing it?
Would downloading another OS also work?

Thanks for the information!

I found this with some Google-Fu, hopefully it helps ^_^

Accessing the Recovery Console Without a Windows CD

Computer vendors very often do not provide a Windows disk with their systems. Instead they provide a Restore disk or just a hidden restore partition. They may provide a way to get into the Recovery Console but computer owners will have to check their particular setup. If, as is likely, the Recovery Console is missing there is another way to obtain it.

Microsoft provides software for creating a set of six diskettes for reinstalling Windows XP for those with no bootable CD.The details are here. It doesn't seem to be widely known but these disks also contain the Recovery Console. Thus creating this set of diskettes will give those without a Windows CD (but with a floppy drive) the option of using the Recovery Console. It is tedious; you have to wait while the system slogs through the setup process and loads all six disks but if it saves your system it will be worth it. Once you get to the Welcome Screen. the procedure is the same as with that with a CD described above.

If you have neither a Windows XP CD nor a floppy drive, there are methods for placing floppy disk images on a bootable CD. One easy way to create a bootable CD containing the Recovery Console from the Microsoft file mentioned above has been provided by Dean Adams and can be downloaded at this link.

Tried the download from Microsoft, but the command center only recognizes floppies, and my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.
Saved the i386 folder and Winxp folder to CDs and a flash drive, and the computer didn't recognize either, even after playing around with the BIOS settings (moving the removable hardware and CD/DVD drive options up and down).
Guess it must be a hardware problem or something.

Before I give up completely, I want to give a new operating system a try.
Does anyone know if it's possible? Like, for me to go to one of the startup options and install an OS like Linux from a flash drive or CD?
Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back