BSOD While installing Windows XP

Hello,
I am trying to install windows xp on my Dell Inspiron 1526 that came with vista basic. The issue is that when it is installing and gets to the point where it is installing devices, I get a BSOD. Here is the message:
STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xAFEE0909, 0xF7B62BE4, 0xF7B628E0)

Atihdxp3.sys - Address AFEE0909 base at AFED0000 Datestamp 4c6d09e8

I think it has to do with the video card. Is there anyway I can stop the installer from installing the video card driver or something so I can get past this?
Thanks

That's actually the HDMI sound driver. You should check your BIOS and see if there is an option to disable that.

Go to Dell, find your exact model and update the latest drivers they have for your system.

Are you installing the drivers from the AMD website or is Windows pulling them down from somewhere?

Can you get into device manager before adding the new hardware and disable the HDMI audio?

And this is a store bought XP, not a warez version?

If you're using a legal CD of XP /w SP3, and you cannot get past that point on the installation process, then you either have a problem with your ATI hardware or a problem with the XP.

I assume you still have the restore partition on there, so after you restore Vista. You can always do some experimentation with the ATI HMDI port. Plug it into a TV and see if both video and sound come through. You can also see if you can install Ubuntu or another Linux distro and see if it works.

If your Vista runs just fine with that hardware, then there may be some incompatibility between XP and your laptop.

If you're having issues with that driver in Vista as well, then you may have some hardware issue.

Back