BSOD Win7 memory issues or power supply?

Hi,

My newly upgraded computer is started giving me Blue screens yesterday.

the specs are:
Biostar A880G+ motherboard
8 gigs PNY ram in 2 4gig sticks
AMD athlon II X3 455
geforce 7300 videocard
500 watt diablotek PS

I upgraded the mobo, ram and CPU about a month ago and everything has been fine until yesterday when it started blue screening every 15 mins.

I ran memtest86+ with all the possible permutations of slot/dimm and they both failed before the first run was over.

Simple right, it's either the mobo or the ram failing, so why am I bothering to ask?

Before upgrading 2 of my ram sticks had failed on my old motherboard in the last year or so with this same power supply.

Plus the PS has developed some nasty sounds, a very loud high pitched whine and a deep grinding/groaning noise on cold start.

so after all that rambling, could it be the power supply causing the ram to fail memtest86?

thanks for any help/advice.

oh and strangely it's been running fine all day with only one of the ram dimms in place.

View attachment spliggett dmp.zip

CLFS.sys is flagging in the minidumps...
Check your memory and hard drive for errors:

I ran memtest86+ going through all the different permutations of slots and ram and both sticks showed errors no matter which slot they were in.

Since memtest showed errors, i didn't bother checking the HD.

Are you replacing the memory soon?

I'm hoping to narrow the cause down a bit before RMAing the ram, since it could be the motherboard or the powersupply causing issues.

I'm getting a new PS because of the noise so I'll probably pick up a cheap 1 gig dimm to test the motherboard slots as well.

Is it normal for two matched dimms to develop errors at the same time?

"Is it normal for two matched dimms to develop errors at the same time?"...

No it is not normal... It could be that the motherboard memory timing or voltages are off, but because the computer ran normally for weeks, I wouldn't say that these settings were wrong unless you changed or over-clocked them. Lets hope that a new power supply fixes these issues

Back