TechSpot

BSOD WinXP sp2

By Zinox
Nov 19, 2008
  1. Hi everyone...

I have been using my computer for almost a year or so without any problems.. Then one evning when playing world of warcraft (wow) my computer starts giving me
    BSOD (code: 9c). it is sure many years since I last expirienced a BSOD... :) anyway.

I started out with a memtest86. It ran for 10 hours without error. So I have kind of excluded the RAM as being the problem.

Strangely it only happened when playing wow, not when I was working around on my desktop working with openoffice, firefox etc.

I then removed some more hardware from my computer.. a creative soundblaster and wifi card. Disabled the onboard LAN card.

format c: and reinstalled XPsp2 + updates.

I started a loop of benchmarks tests in the game crysis, and it ran 6 hours without any bug.

I then thought "Yes, succes!" but no, I started wow up, and played for around an ½ houre and another BSOD :(

I have controlled the temp. via RivaTuner and Speedfan.

Idle:
    CPU: 31C
    GPU: ~60C

Furmark:
    CPU: ~50C
    GPU: ~88C (fan duty cycle @ 47)

2x CPU burn-in
    CPU: ~54C

I can now recreate a BSOD within 1-2 hours with 2xCPU burin-in running. and it is not always a 9c error....

I dont have an onboard VGA card and dont have any other PCI-E grafix card.. so I cant really test wether it is the geforce or not..

I have att. some minidumps and a speedfan screenshot when idle and my dxDiag.

Is the Vcc1.5volt = 0.87V a misready from speedfan? or am I having some real PSU problems?

I am not sure what to do next.

I chould really need some input on this problem...

Ps. Sorry about my spelling... :)

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,166   +37

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
    Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Your GPU @ 60C = 140F Is that what this card is designed for under load? How is your system air flow/cooling?

Have you done any overclocking?

Have you updated your vid card drivers?

3. Zinox

Zinox TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi...

Actually I dont know what the normal operation temp is... But if I take manuel control of the fan on the GF card, and set it to 100% duty cycle it pushes the GPU down to 45C = 113F while idleling... I'll try start 3D intensive test later this evning with the fan at max speed.

For CPU cooling I have a Zalman RESERATOR 1 Plus (Cant post links as it is only my 2. post on this forum) and I just tried reaplying some new terminal paste... but without any change... :(

Nope. The water cooling is pure for noise reduction...

Yup...

and thanx for your time so far...

Edit: To my surprise I did not have the lastes geforce driver.... the autodetect on nvidia homepage found a nwer one than the one I have manully download.. (ok I have juuuust a little red ears :) ) I'll return with a post... wether it changes anything.. :)

4. Zinox

I have now updated my geforce driver and the drivers for all the stuff on the motherboard... still BSOD...

I have tried to underclock the geforce while setting the GPU fan's duty cycle to 90%... and guess what... BSOD :( (have att. the minidump).

I am once again out of ideers... :(

5. Zinox

6. Zinox

Problem solved... I have just raised the voltage:

CPU with 25mV
    RAM with 50mV...

thanx for your time...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.