BSOD With a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a new computer about 2 months ago and have been trying to figure out my problem. About 50% of the time when the computer is started up after sitting over night the start up results in a BSOD prior to getting to windows or on an occation getting to windows then doing a restart. I have checked the memory with memtest86 and I have cheched the HD and they seem ok - no errors reported. The BSOD only happens when the computer has just been started and after it reboots it runs fine (a few times it has restated again).

Most have been Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area errors. My next recourse is to send the machine back to the manufacturer but that will take over a month to get it back and I dont want to wait that long.

Any help will be appreciated.

It wouldn't happen to be an emachine would it? If so, try to return it and get another model.
I'll try to check your mini-dumps when I get home.

if you return the computer, and they take a long time to return it back to you, file a report with the Better Business Burea (BBB) once the company gets a call from the threatening to mark them as "unacceptable" they will treat you much better. (they may even give you a discount or something like that:)

hope this helps
....AMD

No its not an emachine. Its made by Cyberpower. They have a good reputation and have one several awards but there reputation is not to good with me. One thing I noticed after I posted my mini dumps was that I was running an older version of the MB BIOS that didnt support my 7900 video card so I have updated that. So far no BSOD's.

Two of minidumps indicicate corrupted memory.
1 indicates an AVG anti-virus failure - usually caused when memory is going bad as these programs are memory intensive.

2 more indicate system file loading failures - another pointer at bad memory.

Run memtest 86+ booted from a real floppy (not USB) or a CD rom to check memory. Let is run for at least 7 passes. Any negatives that come up are not good.

If memtest comes up ok. Update your BIOS. (I would do that anyway). Also new cards can be power hungry. Your PSU may be undersized and causing these failures. Memory is particularly sensative to voltage fluctuations.

If you can swap out your video card with an older one and it works, then you know you don't have enough power. I wouldn't run the new card on a system less than 500W power.

Faultu ram

Hi,

According to minidump, your windows is crashed with memory access fault and thjs is the sign of faulty ram. Run memtest to stress test the ram.

Mini051406-01.dmp BugCheck D1, {8b5351f8, 2, 0, ad75c703}
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT
Owning Process 88971998 Image: <Unknown>
Mini051406-01.dmp Probably caused by : fwdrv.sys ( fwdrv+29703 )

Mini052606-01.dmp BugCheck 50, {f30970bc, 0, 8050298a, 2}
Faulty RAM
Owning Process 89536790 Image: <Unknown>
Mini052606-01.dmp Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!HeavyAllocPool+74 ) <- crashed by faulty ram

Mini052706-01.dmp BugCheck 1000007E, {c0000005, 80517150, bace3b68, bace3864}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MmUnmapViewInSystemCache+f6 )

Mini052806-01.dmp BugCheck 24, {1902fe, abfa15a0, abfa129c, ba60d74f}
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: NULL_DEREFERENCE
Owning Process 8946d790 Image: <Unknown>
Mini052806-01.dmp Probably caused by : Ntfs.sys ( Ntfs!NtfsFindNameLink+1e )

Mini060606-01.dmp BugCheck 50, {e255a8d5, 0, af5b399c, 1}
Owning Process 8886dca0 Image: <Unknown>
Mini060606-01.dmp Probably caused by : avg7core.sys ( avg7core+4899c ) <-- crashed by faulty ram

Well before I read the two previous posts I did the memtest from floppy and let it run all night long. It completed the tests 13 times by the time I shut the computer off in the morning. No errors.

I am using an Antec TP-II 550W Power supply so power drain shouldn't be an issue.

As I have mentioned before I did update the BIOS and it seems to be doing ok no problems yet. Hopefully this has fixed it but will let you know if it doesn't.

Thanks for your all's help its much appreciated.

Well it worked great for about 2-3 weeks and now the BSOD have returned.

Here are the mini dumps. Same situation as before. They only occur at the start of the computer. I appreciate all your help.

Also, this seems to happen the most when the room where the computer is kept is cold.

None of your dumps seem to open with the debugger. If you are running two sticks of ram, then run Windows with one, and if no problems occur, then try the other stick and see if it is faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back