TechSpot

BSOD with Outpost....dmp file attached

By foycur
Oct 16, 2006
  1. I bought Agnitum Outpost almost a year ago because I had read it was one of the most consistent pieces of security software out there. I get these random BSODs that seem to occur mostly when I am on the web while using Mozilla. I can't find anything about there being a 'disconnect' between Mozilla and Outpost, and I cannot read dmp files. I am set to renew my outpost subscription in about a month, and if this dmp file points to outpost as the problem then I may as well dump it and find another firewall.

Attached Files:

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

Hi

Any chance of any other dump files, that one contains a lot of invalid data making it hard to analyze.

Regards

3. foycur

foycur TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 114

I will do a search for .dmp files on my system and see what I find....
    See if these have anything useful.

4. Ididmyc600

Both these are showing this

PROCESS_NAME: ŸïÆ

BUGCHECK_STR: RAISED_IRQL_FAULT

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

FAILED_INSTRUCTION_ADDRESS:
    +71a5df52
    71a5df52 ?? ???

SYMBOL_NAME: INVALID_CONTEXT

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: ŸïÆ

IMAGE_NAME: ŸïÆ

I will need to ask a Mod to have a look as I have never seen this in a bugcheck before, I'll get back to you.

Regards

5. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

Google only gave one hit for RAISED_IRQL_FAULT and it just happens to be on Outpost's support forums. Even though it relates to DualCore + Outpost, if you read on other CPUs are having the same problem.

The obvious thing to do would be to uninstall Outpost and see if the problem continues, just switch to one of the free firewalls.
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135469.

6. Ididmyc600

I spoke to a Mod who deals with this, he says they are unreadable because
    your minidumps are not set to small memory dump of 64k. You 'll need to set the PC to dump at this size and then when it next BSOD's repost the dump file here.

To change the Dump file size, right click my computer >properties > advanced >startup and debugging >setup> change to 64k Memory dump.

Regards

7. foycur

foycur TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 114

Thanks for all the info. I was suspecting it was outpost doing it. I shut it down and am using my windows firewall in conjunction with my router firewall. So far, no more BSODs.

And my computer is set for the 64K dump, so I'm not sure why I'm getting a bigger file size.

Since I think Outpost isn't going to be the firewall for me, anyone have any other ideas aside from ZoneAlarm?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.