BSOD with Windows XP not sure if its with a virus

Hi, I recently got the BSOD and up intil this point had no idea it even existed. I'm not computer savvy or anything and I'll try the best I can with this problem. Before I got the BSOD Microsoft security Essentials and Norton detected there was a trojan and said it blocked and deleted it. It kept popping up but when I went to click on Microsoft Security a second time to delete it, it said it wasn't there and was gone. At that I assumed it was gone. Everything was working fine until yesterday the BSOD popped up. I thought it was the trojan so I went to safe mode ran superanti spyware and it detected the famous Trojan agents. Heres a list.

Trojan.Agent/Gen-FakeAlert [AV]
Trojan.Agent/Gen-FakeSecurity
Trojan.Agent/Gen-Falcomp [RE]
Malware.Trace
Adware.Tracking Cookie

All of this have been deleted and I did a couple more scans to make sure. I can still use safemode and it works fine even the internet. The BSOD kept popping up and as I've read with most of the threads here it's common. Oh and I have a Windows XP on a DELL laptop and the message at the bottom of the BSOD says:

Technical Information:
Stop: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xF75841D, 0xF6C09684, 0x00000000)
atapi.svs- Address F7584710 base at F757A000, Datestamp 4802539d

I'm not sure if that says what the problem is? I've also went to my computer-manage- view events. There were red circles with x's on some of the things but I have no idea of fixing this. It could also be other problems that I've read on another thread I think the name was Howard something. They presented great ways to get rid of it however I'm very scared to open up my laptop to clean the fan or to replace any hard drive since I really have no idea on any.I can google it but again I don't trust myself. I'm also wondering if I can take this to someone and if it would even matter? Does the BSOD mean you need a new hardrive, motherboard ect? Should I get a new computer? I've also never upated anything (video cards ect) I honestly had no idea you needed to well besides if you wanted to play sims 3. it also said my memory was running low but that was weeks ago I've cleaned up my computer since then. Sorry if this is hard to understand and if I'm asking way to many questions. Up at 4:16 AM and am freaking out over this. If anyone can help or assist in this I would be very grateful. Thank you.

OK, first thing I'd say is "don't panic". This should all be repairable without spending a penny.

You should realy have started this thread in the Malware forum to get it checked by our experts but lets just run a couple of other anti virus software programs to see if there is anything left in the system.

Download these and then let them update before running a full system scan.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Are you running Norton and MSE at the same time, if so this could cause a BSOD as they will conflict with each other, disable one of them.

It would help if I could see your crash dumps, please follow this guide to attach them to your next post. The last four or five will do, zip them up into one file before posting.

Below the reply box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button Manage Attachments. Click on that and a popup-window opens.

Click on the Browse button, find the minidump files you wish to attach on your PC and doubleclick on it. Normally found in C:\Windows\minidump

Now click on the Upload button in the popup. When done, click on the Close this window button.

Enter your message-text, then click on Submit Message.

Make sure you have Automatic Updates turned on and that you are up to SP3. This is important as SP2 is no longer supported by Microsoft which leaves your PC wide open to attack.

Please tell me if you have a Windows OS disc and/or Dell recovery disks.

Thank you

Yes sorry about posting here I realized that after I did. I have sp3 and unfortunetly have no restore cd.
here are my minidump files though. Oh and I think it is a virus theres still some of those buggers on here. Thank you very much for your help and support. ^_^

Attachments

• Crash Dump.zip
    74.3 KB · Views: 1
There are some windows drivers named in the crash dumps but from the stack trace I see a file belonging to Microsoft Security Essentials. Completely uninstall it and use the Avira free version from the link I gave above for continued protection, I have found it to be a far better anti virus. Having done that, see if the problem continues and post any further crash dumps.

I would continue to run Malwarebytes until it comes up clean. Make sure that in the report at the end of the scan that it states the Malware was removed.

It says I can't uninstall MSE in safe mode. But the error says can't Install when I go to click on it in remove programs. I'm not sure if I can get into normal mode I'll try though.

ok so MSE wont leave my computer T_T. I can't get into normal mode and stay in it long enough to remove it. And I also have Norton so if I get rid of MSE and replace it, wouldn't the other antivirus make another crash with Norton?

You should never run two anti virus programs at the same time as they are both trying to do the same thing, if you cannot uninstall MSE in safe mode then just disable it and Norton. Then see if you can boot into normal mode.

At this point you may get somewhere by using "Last Known Good Configuration" from the same screen that Safe Mode is selected from.

If that fails go to the Boot Options screen again, select safe mode and then select System Restore, take it back to a date before the problem started.

If it then boots up in normal mode immediately disable Norton and MSE and then run the Avira and Malwarebytes software and keep running Malwarebytes until you get a clean report at the end of the scan.

Back