BSODs after new mobo, graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanGBR

Hello, recently I got a new mobo (a Gigabyte-G31M-S2L) and a new graphics card, nVidia 9800gt, since then I've been getting BSODs whilst watching videos or gaming, they never happen whilst idle, other than that I've had PC freezing along with a sound stutter of the last 0.5 sec of sound. I have a feeling that maybe my PSU is the culprit as it is 6 amps below what the graphics card says it needs on the 12v rail, though it is higher than the voltage required (450). the last 2 minidumps are after I installed new Realtek drivers.I need help on diagnosing/solving this problem, also, the freezing happens at various times, sometimes I will be gaming for up to 3 hours sometimes it will do it after 40 mins.

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    183.4 KB · Views: 6
Memory corruption.

However, before you run Memtest and since this is a new motherboard you need to first go into your BIOS and check the voltage settings of your memory. The question that needs to be answered is, did your motherboard set it according to the stock specs by your manufacture? We have seen many times corrupted memory reads when in fact the memory isn't bad, rather the voltages are not set correctly.

Also, is this memory recommended by Gigabyte for this motherboard?

The 12v rail is a crucial to smooth running especially with a demanding card.. You may want to consider a new psu.

Two of your BSODs cited the Realtech driver RtkHDAud.sys as the cause of some crashes. We see this driver all the time. But do the memory diagnostics first.

* One other thing, as of July 10th XP with Service Pack 2 will no longer be supported but SP 3 will be.

Hey, i'm not sure what the manufacturer says about the voltage of the ram, since I got this PC as a gift, I simply bought a new graphics card/mobo at a PC store and they put it in, since then, bsods. I reseated the RAM and it's" Kingmax 512mb DDR2 - 533, IC: 64mbx8" I suppose the 533 means 533MHz? And this should be the voltage set in the BIOS?

No, the 533 MHZ is not the voltage for your RAM. Do you have a friend or associate who has tech knowledge? My first hunch is the memory voltage is not set correctly by the motherboard. But in order to know what is correct wqe need to find your exact RAM and see what the manufacture has set it at and then in the BIOS we can set it correctly (if need be).

My second hunch is corrupted memory as per your minidumps. It would be good for you to run Memtest on your RAM. This is a free and completely safe proceedure.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

My third hunch is that this is the wrong RAM for this motherboard.

*** If you don't want to go through the hassle at this point take back your PC to that shop, tell them of your BOSDs, that your minidump files were read and many specifically stated that the cause was memory corruption. If they want to know the error codes give them 0x8E, 0x50, and 0x24.

Did memtest. 10 passes on each stick, 0 errors.

I found that the RAM is 1.8v on KingMax's website and since i'm on a Giga-Byte motherboard the RAM settings are hidden. I unhid them but I can't find where to change the voltage :\.

Also, on Giga-Byte's website I found that the RAM is compatible with the motherboard, "512MB KingMax KLBC28KA8HD4" said on Giga-Bytes website matches my RAM sticks.

I assume it's the incorrect voltage?

(Also, sorry for the foolish comment before about 533MHz being the voltage)

Do you know what BIOS your board runs, i.e. Award, AMI, etc.? Your manual should sho you how to access.

It looks like my third hunch was wrong. :blackeye: :stickout:

I'm using an Award BIOS, the motherboard I got from the shop may be refurbished because the guide looks outdated and my BIOS is different to the one inside the guide.

See if this helps...

BIOS Main Sceen > find POWER BIOS Features and enter > Scroll down to DIMM Voltage and to the right you will see [Auto] and it may havve another figure in there > Enter this and set your memory according to the correct voltage.

Then Exit. It will ask you if you want to Save. Save yes.

The only settings I found relative to RAM voltage was 'DDR2 OverVoltage control' and 'DDR2 DeOverVoltage control' they have options like +0.1 through to 0.4 and -0.1 through to -0.4, it doesn't say the current voltage either, so idk what to do >_<.

Man I wish I could see your system with my eyes and especially your BIOS. If you've never done this before it can be a pain.

Do you have any froiends with tech knowledge? Have you thought about returning this to the shop you bought it from and laid out before them the minidump reads, your issues, etc.?

Did some research on the mothjerboard, by default the settings are 1.8v, the settings for the overvoltage were at normal, I changed the voltage settings to auto and they stayed the same, so I think the voltage was right all along?

EDIT:Also, i'm not sure but could a Page File cause these errors? I recently changed my page file to a memory stick that I think may lose connection sometimes - though i'm not sure whether I put it on before or after I got the new mobo.

This is a PC; it can be anything. :D

The correct voltage would be what your RAM was designed for.

If you can remember what you had Page File set at before do so.

Okay, got another BSOD: Probably caused by : memory_corruption it says on the minidump. Thought it said it was probably caused by Win32k.sys on the actual BSOD though. Any more ideas? I'm probably going to have to take it back.

Here is what we know:

1. RAM voltage is set correctly.

2. The RAM itself is on the Gigabyte recommended list for this board.

3. 10 Passes with Memtest and no errors.

4. Page File changes intially worked.

* Go ahead and attach the latest minidump file.

* As good as Memtest is there are those times when bad memory has been known to pass. This may take a long time but I would run Memtest on each stick separately.

* Possibly upping the memory voltage slightly might help OR undervolting it slightly.

* I still wonder if your psu is causing some issues due to demands of your video card on the 12v rail.

0x50 error and memory corruption.

As suggested before: Memtest on each stick.

Second, I am wondering if a different memory will make a difference.

Ok, thanks for that app, i'm getting tens of thousands of errors and saw no point in continuing, is just 1 error bad? Some other people have had millions, maybe my card isn't compatible properly or something. OR maybe my card is dead.

Ran it again for 7 mins, 83 million errors. They were all must be 00FF, but found 0000.

One thing you might consider and that is installing another card in your system to see if it is indeed your graphics card. Sure don't want you going out a spending $ on a new card when you don't have to.

Perhaps you can borrow one to test it. OR test your card in another system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back