TechSpot

BSODs during gaming Win7

By CoinOp
Mar 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I just built this new computer:
    Whenever I try to play Modern Warfare 2, Unreal Tournament GOTY, or the Crysis 2 demo the computer freezes up with a black screen with a repeating bit of noise that goes on for 10 or so seconds before it goes away and the monitor turns off. I then have to reset or turn off the PC and start it up. It gives me a BSOD report and the following:

Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	BlueScreen
      OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
      Locale ID:	1033

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode:	124
      BCP1:	00000000
      BCP2:	870820DC
      BCP3:	00000000
      BCP4:	00000000
      OS Version:	6_1_7600
      Service Pack:	0_0
      Product:	256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\Windows\Minidump\030511-14617-01.dmp
      C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-22479-0.sysdata.xml

I'm not tech savvy enough to have found any problems. I have appropriate cooling for my case and all cables are properly plugged in and my GPU securely housed.

Any help to figure this out would be most appreciated as I spent a good amount on something that can't deliver.

EDIT: I will obtain any info needed to help diagnose the problem, I just don't know what to post.
  2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,271

Your memory is running in single channel, try moving your mem sticks so you have them in the same coloured slots, that should then give you dual channel operation which should improve things. You should be using slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 check for information on this in the motherboard manul.

This link gives some usefull information for diagnosing the cause of error 124.

http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/35349-stop-0x124-what-means-what-try.html

Is your Windows 7 64bit, if it is only 32bit it will not be using more than 4GB of the installed memory.
  3. CoinOp

CoinOp TS Rookie Topic Starter

The problem was with the video card. It would heat up and expand the plastic cover and fan causing them to touch and stop spinning and overheat and bazinga. RMAing it tomorrow and buying EVGA. Never again PNY, never again.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.