TechSpot

BSODs, freezes and black screens while playing games

By BoomHeadShot
Nov 14, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi I'm new to the forums and I've joined it for help on this. My computer is custom built and for that past 2 weeks it has been BSODING,Freezing with a sound loop, and black screens. My computer is fine with everything else and I really need some help to get my computer up and running again. If you have any help that would be great. Thanks.
    P.S I may have to talk to you more tomorrow its getting late here. Thanks again.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,060   +169

Okay, post any minidumps by going to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the files and right-click, to send them to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here. Give us some detailed specs of this troubled custom computer

Shawn Henderson likes this.
  3. BoomHeadShot

BoomHeadShot TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 20

I have a NVIDIA Geforce GT 430
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor
    ASUS M4N68T-M Motherboard
    2 8GB Ram sticks (cant find name)
    Hopefully you can help :)

Oh and with the Minidump files its says can't find or no permission?

4. Tmagic650

Is Windows 7 fully updated including the optional updates?

5. BoomHeadShot

It is not actully. I usually do not update it since last time I did it kind of messed my computer up. Should I install them?

6. Tmagic650

Absolutely YES! Run Windows Update manually. If the updates fail to install, restart the computer or shut down, start up and try again

7. BoomHeadShot

Alright I'll install them all. 134 updates. Maybe it will help XD

8. Tmagic650

9. BoomHeadShot

10. BoomHeadShot

Never mind didn't read the last part of your post.

11. Tmagic650

Yes, restart or shut down and boot up... This will allow the updates to finish

12. BoomHeadShot

I got a BSOD while downloading for windows updates and now when I try to open windows update its just white.

13. BoomHeadShot

Nevermind took like 15 minutes for it to load.

14. Tmagic650

Windows 7 is up to Service Pack 1 and it is pretty large in size. The .NET Framework updates take some time too. Be patient and take your time. Run Windows Update one more time after you see "no more updates found"... Any BSOD's are not good, and they may mean that there are incorrect bios settings or memory problems

15. BoomHeadShot

Alright I updated now what?

16. BoomHeadShot

Also here is a minidump that popped up after my computer BSOD'd.

Attached Files:

17. Tmagic650

The minidump is corrupt...

18. BoomHeadShot

Ugh thought so... I think all mine are corrupt for some reason :\

Anyway to fix the minidumps that are corrupted?

19. Tmagic650

Go into Control Panel, System. On the far left you will see Advanced System Settings. Start up and Recovery, Settings. Uncheck "time to display a list of operating systems" and lower the "time to display recovery options when needed" to 5 seconds. Uncheck "automatically restart" and set the minidump type to small (256kb). Get into "system protection" configure, and turn off system protection and delete all restore points. Then turn back on System protection and create a new restore point

20. BoomHeadShot

Now what? Will the mini dumps be uncorrupted?

21. BoomHeadShot

Seems like it is still corrupted it says file not found or no permission when I try to do Send To compressed zip file.

22. Tmagic650

Have you done all the steps I mentioned? If so, just wait until you get a "fresh" BSOD

23. BoomHeadShot

Yes I did everything you said. I guess I will wait for a "fresh" BSOD and tell you how it goes.

24. Tmagic650

Your computer should be booting up a bit faster and yes, post any new BSOD's:)

25. BoomHeadShot

Yes I have noticed that my computer has been booting up way faster. I'll try to see if I get a fresh BSOD playing a game.

Okay I just got a BSOD but it says the same thing file not found or no permission, but I just noticed something next to the minidump file there is a little lock icon. I don't know what it means but maybe its the no permission thing?

Could that be the problem?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.