BSODs on brand new build

MattSss

Hello All,
I have been wrangling with a random BSOD for about 2 weeks now on a brand new build. All components are 100% new except for two Caviar Green drives in Raid 1.

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-VLK
Ram Speed, size and #sticks: 2 X 4GB GSKILL Ares DDR3 1600
GPU: none (using iGPU)
PSU (do not leave this out):Rosewill Hive-650 semi-modular
Boot Drive: Samsung 128 GB SSD 830 Series
Storage: two Caviar Green drives in Raid 1.
Optical: ASus 24X DVDRW

I experience BSODS often, at least twice a day. Never while I am at the PC (generally while sleeping and at work) Since this new build I have been trying to transfer my media files from my backup to the raid array- One folder in particular is huge, 452GB. So I set this to transfer before I go to sleep or leave for work. One out of every two times I try to transfer this I get the BSOD. I have run:
MEMTEST86+ for the recommended 7 passes, two times with no failures
I have run check disk multiple times with no errors
I re-installed windows fresh
Driver Verifier fails immediately after enabling it and rebooting
I narrowed down the driver causing the failure to Ndisrd.sys
If I disable this driver my Ethernet stops working
this caused me to look into this drivers effect on ethernet and I stumbled accross this website:
http://driverscollection.com/?aid=44016157152a8cde525d7f7a510
as you can see this driver is installed with the motherboard drivers CD and is part of network Icontrol which is monitoring and prioritization software for the network traffic. I disabled this and then ran driver verifier on the same driver again and no crash. I thought I had conquered it....
So I ran the file transfer again over night.... FAIL
I ran the file transfer again during work today... FAIL

A couple of notes: the BSOD can happen without the file transfer
I have successfully completed the transfer in safe modem but I have only tried this once
The transfer has completed successfully in regular mode on more than one occasion so this may not be a cause just a coincidence that it usually happens with the transfer.
Memory is in XMP mode and auto detects at the correct settings
CPU stress tests using prime95 run at a cool 67C for 10 minutes no problem, I haven't gone further and I have purchased aida64 to really test it correctly.

If you have questions about the condition I will answer them asap.
minidumps will be posted in next post.

Thanks so much in advance, Matt

Please tell me if these 3 files uploaded correctly.
Thanks, Matt

A few more notes:
64 Bit Windows installed both times
Manually force a driver upgrade of the iGPU Intel4000, realtek Ethernet and realtek sound drivers in both installations with no effect. Using the recommended Intel rapid storage utility for all three drives.
The Asus driver installation disk installs AI Suite II which is where the network iControl program came from. This is also where I disabled it.
On the first install I used McAfee, but did not like it and switch to AVG2013. In some of the posts it was recomended to use MS security essentials. I switched to this in the first install and on the second install this was the only AV program installed

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    59.2 KB · Views: 4
The minidumps are:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
TERMINAL_SERVER_DRIVER_MADE_INCORRECT_MEMORY_REFERENCE
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
all with Ntoskrnl.exe

Is the SSD boot drive set as AHCI in the bios and on a SATA 3 port?

The mainboard is set to RAID because there is only one option in the bios for all drives and I need to run the storage drives in raid1. The storage drives are on the sata 2 ports. the SSD is on the sata 3 ports.

The system page file is allocated to the SSD, would changing it to the storage volume help? Or, is there a specific setting for the ssd to manage the pagefile to avoid this error? I cant recall if I updated the ssd driver using the samsung ssd magician software. I will check this when I get home

Yes I have intel rapid store installed and it appears to be working correctly. It identifies the system disk (ssd) and the raid array correctly and displays "system functioning normally" in the status. The raid was set up using CTRL+ I during the post which brings up intel raid configuration utility so the raid is set up on the hardware level. Intel rapid store also has a pop up after booting saying that one or more drives is protected from failure. If I had a problem with a drive setup I would think I would have issues booting. or immediately on accessing the troubled drive if it was a non boot drive. This is not the case. Is there more information I could provide to shed more light on the situation?

FYI it crashed again today while at work. attached is the minidump

Attachments

• 100512-5522-01.zip
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
Okay, your set up like mine was... I'm using a Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3 motherboard. This minidump is once again:
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Ntoskrnl.exe
Are you over-clocking? Have you tested the memory?

Not only am I not overclocking but I have turbo boost disabled. Today I updated the intel chipset drivers and the bios. Idled all day. I came home to see if any crashes and nothing. leave computer and come back an hour later and crashed. Here is the minidump. Does anyone have any further insight here? I am going to unplug 2 sticks of ram and let it run over night. IF it crashed I will plug those two back in and unplug the other 2.

Attachments

• 100612-5787-01.zip
    15.8 KB · Views: 2
Okay, Work on that memory like you mentioned. The minidump:
TERMINAL_SERVER_DRIVER_MADE_INCORRECT_MEMORY_REFERENCE
Ntoskrnl.exe again...

2 Sticks out and it just bsod'ed. Swapping them back in now. If they fail then I am thinking either motherboard or power supply unless anyone can dig anything out of this new mindump

Attachments

• 100712-5366-01.zip
    19.3 KB · Views: 1
All my files are securely back up in other locations. When you say back and forth you mean on the minidump errors? I could try a windows install on the raid disks and see if that fixes the error. Are there any particular settings I need to use for and SSD beyond the standard settings you get with a clean install on the drive plus using samsung SSD magician to fully optimize?

Yes the minidumps are 2 errors alternating back and forth...
"plus using Samsung SSD magician to fully optimize?" Wouldn't hurt to do this. Install Windows on the RAID Array and see if the BSOD's stop

Well, bsod on either set of memory in either set of slots. time to istall windows on the platter drives and see if its the ssd. if I still get the problem then what? power supply?

12 hours on the platters and no crash, another 24 and I think I know the issue is the ssd. At that point I think I will do a full format on the ssd and give it another clean install. If that fails it is getting RMA'ed

Almost 48 HRS on the HDD with no bsod. Have now fully formatted all drives and finished a 3rd clean install on the ssd. loaded all drivers possible direct from the mfg website (avoided the mobo cd, except for the lan driver which I needed to connect out). set system restore point and will now let the machine idle over night. If no problems I will attempt the 450GB file transfer.... may be almost there

File transfer test completed and 24 hours stable. So unless you hear back from me on this post I am going to chalk this one up to 2 crappy windows installs related to MOBO supplied drivers causing memory errors.
Thanks for the help

Back