BSODs on newish machine

Ckorban

Background:
So I built this machine about a month ago, and it was working fine till a week ago, when I started getting random BSODs. They're not always the same call-out, and was wondering if you could help me get to the bottom of it. I am not aware of any changes, except for maybe video card driver updates, that could be causing this.

Problem:

BF3 is crashing for random reasons, I never find out why. I had crossfire enabled and disabled it and it still crashed. Sometimes I get a BSOD while playing bf3, other time I was just on youtube.

System:
Win 7, 64bit
i5-2500K
ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
2x MSI Twin Frozr R6950 III's
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
120GB Crucial M4 SSD as boot drive
4x 2TB in RAID5 for storage.

What first step should I take?

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• Minidump.7z
    55.1 KB · Views: 8
  • minidumps.zip
    88.6 KB · Views: 6
This is an ATI driver fault... Are you sure your power supply is big enough for all that hardware? 5 hard drives and 2 video cards... What are the power supply's specs and wattage rating?

It is a Corsair AX850, a seemingly very high quality PSU and based on calculations should be more than enough if I calculated correctly. I am not overclocking anything at all. The minidumps call out the ATI drivers?

Yes it's an ATI video driver issue. Where are you getting the ATI driver from? The power supply should be fine

I downloaded it from AMD.com. Should I stick to something else (msi.com)? I mainly/only play BF3, and would love to be able to play it with crossfire without it crashing every 10 minutes.

I tried the newer (11.12) ATI drivers and the MSI drivers as well, and in both situations I managed to get at least one BSOD. The latest one, with MSI drivers, called out win32k.sys I believe, but I cannot find any new dumps in my minidump folder. Any idea where it could be? Could you guide me in the right direction please?

I used HD Tune 2.55 and ran an Error Scan which reported 0.0% damaged blocks. Is there another tool that might be better suited for SSDs maybe? Also, I am not overclocking.

Tcpip.sys is a network driver. Are you sure you have installed all the motherboard drivers including the Chipset properly?

I believe so. Should I do a firmware upgrade on the mobo if available and reinstall the the newest drivers?

Hey Tmagic, thanks for the help so far.

Just got another BSOD, PFN list corrupt this time.
Quick question, I am not seeing new minidumps in my minidump folder. Where could they be?

Chkdsk came up with no errors and memtest also had no errors after a multitude of passes.

I updated my motherboard BIOS.

I just got another BSOD on tcpip.sys, and this time I managed to get the minidump. Let me know if you are not able to open it.

Thanks again :)

Attachments

• 122111-110074-01.zip
    29.3 KB · Views: 3
Msfs.sys= mailslot driver... Don't know why you are having so many issues with this computer. My next advice would be to start over, making sure that you have all the ASrock current Windows 7 drivers at hand before you start the fresh Windows install

Is there any way I would be able to do a repair as opposed to a fresh install? As in, would it be helpful?

Are you running Windows 7? Was Windows 7 the original version of Windows on this computer or was Windows 7 installed over another version of Windows

Back