BSODs on Windows 7, error 0x0000001E

nemxu

Hi all, this is going to be a long read, and I hope I find a solution to it.

Here goes

My laptop (Acer Aspire 5738) is not more than a year old and was running on Vista home premium, about 2 weeks ago I received a BSOD with an error message BAD_POOL_HEADER. I searched google and related forums and the advice was to remove some files from the registry. Well, I couldnt figure out how to delete the files because it kept saying, 'Unable to delete'. I tried to delete the file as admistrator and gave the users full control over files however still with no luck.

Then tried to use the built in acer recovery management however for some reason it would nt let me use 2 of 3 options. Keeps giving me a message 'Reboot Needed'.So I rebooted and yet again no solution to that problem. So yet again I searched google for an answer however was unable to find anything on this matter.

A friend of mine then gave me his Acer recovery cd so I backed up my important docs and restored the pc back to factory settings. This process took a good 2 hours to take place. After the setup was complete I get a warm welcome message of WELCOME TO WINDOWS 7!!!

He did not tell me that it was a windows 7 cd! I shouldnt be complaining right? Wrong, after the installation was complete and windows opened up I get another BSOD, 0x0000001E. And now the laptop won't stay on for longer than 2 minutes, slightly longer in safe mode.

What I can't understand is why on earth didn't the laptop shut down when I was formatting for 2 hours and now it fails to stay on for 2 minutes?

I used the Startup Repair feature on windows 7 however it found nothing.

Any help is very much appreciated. I am sorry if this should be posted somewhere else or there are topics on this already however due to the format and upgrade, I thought I should post a new thread.

Thanksamillion!

Hi nemxu. :)

Question: Do you have the original recovery Vista disks for this system?

Also, never fool with the registry.

Hi there! Thanks for your reply.

My laptop didn't come with a recovery CD. Like I stated earlier the built in eRecovery management doesn't want to work.

What could the error be please?

I will stay clear of the registry from now on ... :D

It could be caused by one of three things (and could be more but we'll keep it simple for the time being).

1. The OS itself is corrupt. Who knows what you deleted from the registry and it probably exacerbated the issue.

2. Or the harddrive itself has physical issues.

3. Or there are memory issues.

* Using the Windows 7 CD also was not a good move, but that is how we learn.

* Do you/can you access the BIOS?

I wouldn't know how to access the bios haha

Is that the f2 thing when windows loads?

Thanks for your time and help!

I'm looking for your exact Acer Aspire 5738 model. Can you link us to it or give us the full model number?

newtechnology.co.in/acer-aspire-5738-laptop-pricespecs/

Best thing I could find! Hope this helps!!

That is one very nice laptop. I am thinking that your OS is corrupt but good luck trying finding a Vista disk.

With your four gigs of RAM and cpu you should be able to run Windows 7 64 easily. The thing is the disk needs to be reformatted before doing so.

And I am still concerned about the physical health of your harddrive. Can you find the make of your harddrive?

Hi nemxu,

The HDD will be under a protecive panel on the underside of the Laptop held in place with a small screw. Normally they are on the opposite side to the DVD/CD drive due to space.

James

Thanks for your help.

I do not have a screw driver thats small! Since it's sunday I won't be able to get one either, is there another way to find out which HDD it is?

Also another question please.

Lets say the drive is currupt. I have a portable HD (320gb USB) would I be able to use that instead?

ok now we are back to squre one lol because this depends on your BIOS and if it supports USB boot devices or not. Your laptop probably does but i wouldnt want to give you wrong information. If it does however then YES you will be able to use it

I will probably leave this one to Route44 as he has looked into this a bit more than me. Sorry i couldn help any further

james

Thank you very much james, please do visit back just in case!! :D

So I soppose the next step is to find out the make of the HD right?

Do a search for a nifty little utility called SIW (System Information for Windows). It is free and quite safe.

Once you install it click it on. There will be a large panel to your right and a smaller panel to your left. In this smaller panel is a list of all knids of things concerning your system. Look for the harddrive and double click it.

Once done it will in the right hand panel tell you the make, model and size of your harddrive.

Unfortunetly the laptop wont stay on long enough for it to install. Even in safe mode. Will get a screwdriver today...

Ok finally got the laptop open. The HDD is a Western Digital Scorpio Blue

MDL: WD2500BEVT - 22ZCT0

Are those enough details?

Just for the record, my portable HD is also made by WD :p

Are they good?

Yes, WD makes good harddrives. Okay, now you want WD's harddrive diagnostic utility from their website and you want to run the SMART, short tests and especially the long one on your harddrive.

Get it off the net using another computer. Burn the file to a CD and place it in your drive. The diagnostic utility will take over almost immediately after boot-up.

Do the tests.

Issue resolved!

The OS was corrupt! According to a friend of mine, he said that the version of windows 7 which I installed was not compatible with my laptop.

What programs should I download to keep my laptop running smoothly?

Thanks very much for all the help, especially route44

Hi nemxu,

Acer sell the laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit pre-installed on it :)

So technically you should be able to get any Windows 7 system on it. I rather suspect the version you installed was corrupt on the disk.

Hope this helps
James

So it was a corrupt OS afterall. I have to go with jamesodriscoll concerning Windows 7 64 Bit because your laptop could easily run it. Thanks for letting us know!

Like I said earlier, the OS which I installed was an original acer recover disk :/

Nevermind! lol

Any ideas how I can keep the laptop up to scratch now pls?

Hi,

if you could give us a quick description of what you are going to be using the Laptop for we couls easily provide you with some hints/tips/programes in order to keep your laptop running as smothly as possible :)

James

Back