BSODs on windows xp sp3, ks.sys error 0x0000008E

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, so I hope I did nothing wrong by posting a new thread or so.

Ever since I tried using my mini-dv camcorder for the first time via firewire on my computer, my computer is acting really strange.
When i hit the "Capture" video button in Windows Movie Maker, the computer freezes and I see a blue screen with the following codes: 0x0000008E
0xF5EC2CF4, 0xA608CD24, 0x00000000
STOP: ks.sys

There is a lot more text in the blue-screen message, but this is what I thought could be of importance.

Also when I tried installing a new usb-device rescently (easy-cap) the same thing happened just before it was installed.

And while playing video's in realplayer, the video/sound stops unexpectedly.
This problem with the realplayer started happening almost the same time as I started getting these blue screen messages.

Is there anything I can do to solve the problem?

Thank you all!

This is sounding like it could be a driver issue (and, no, you did nothing wrong. Your post is quite fine. :) )

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Thank you for your kind answer :)

Now I have tried to attach the files you asked for.
I had a lot of minidump files to choose between, but I tried to find only the five most recent for you.

Thank you again for trying to help me with this :)

Attachments

• Mini032311-02.zip
    88 KB · Views: 3
  • Mini032311-01.zip
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini032211-02.zip
  • Mini032211-01.zip
  • Mini032011-02.zip
Hi,

I tried to unzip the files but they all appear to be corrupt.. can you try re-attaching all the dumps in a single zip file please?

CR.

Okay, same thing happened to me when I tried to open the same files.
What should I do next? I'm not sure of how to do it correctly.
When I try to unzip these files I only get error messages.

Is there a nother way to do it?

Just attach your next two without zipping them. If they are too large then just zip those two together in one Zip file.

I tried opening what you had but the format wasn't recognized.

Okay here are two of the next most recent minidump files that I have, unzipped.
I hope it works better this time.

//Qmr//

Attachments

• Mini032011-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 3
  • Mini031711-01.dmp
Okay, both minidumps cite the cause of your issues as the Windows OS driver ks.sys. Normallly OS drivers are usually too general to be of much diagnostic help. However, in this case it probably points to your issue.

Ks.sys functions as a AVStream class driver -- streaming audio/visual.

In your dumps two other things were noted. First the driver CtClsFlt.sys was not able to load and this is a webcam driver. The second driver is WLX Video Acquire and this has to do with video capture. Many people have had issues with both these drivers and ks.sys.

Update your video capture and your webcam drivers. You may need to update your audio drivers as well.

Okay, thank you for all of your help.

Now my new problem is that I can not figure out what driver I should update.
Do you know where I can find more help with that?

If this has happened to others maybe there is a forum somewhere?
I have been trying to understand how this works for so long now, without much success, and I am just about to give up.
Although I have tried to update all of my drivers, my computer still act in the same way it did before.
So obviously I must be doing something wrong.

However if it wasn't for your help, I wouldn't even have known what caused all of my computer-problems.

So,
Thank you again for helping people like me, with less knowledge in computers and stuff :)

//Qmr//

Hey, glad to help. :)

As for your question, go to our Device Drivers forum and at the top is the sticky How to identify your webcam (and then find its driver) by LookinAround. He does excellent work; one of the very best here at TechSpot.

If you need further help someone should be able to help you and he has the tendency to pop in with an answer/advice himself. If you do post there needing further assistance let them know that your minidumps were read and the drivers that were cited. Also, let them know the OS you are running and system information as well.

* Good luck and please keep us updated.

Back