TechSpot

BSODs that has only started a few days ago - Windows 7

By abxccd
Dec 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have recently started getting BSODs. The only thing that has changed was the installation of AnyDVD, but it was not set to start on boot, so I am not sure if it is the actual cause.

I then thought that it might be Symantec Endpoint Protection, so I uninstalled it, performed a Windows Update, and then installed a trial of ESET Endpoint Security.

I also ran a mem test using memtest86+ and the ram seems to be fine.

However, the BSODs keep happening and often, multiple times a day.

The system is a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with the latest windows updates.

I have attached the dump files. Any suggests appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

3. abxccd

abxccd TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for your reply TMagic :) Prior to posting my first post, I have already checked the hard drives and they did not seem to throw up any problems.

Did the dumps indicate that ESET is the cause of the problems?

Cheers :)

4. Tmagic650

Those 3rd party antivirus programs can interfere with the built-in Windows firewall and Windows Defender causing your kind of instability, so try MSE and see if the BSOD's stop

5. abxccd

I removed all third party antivirus programs/firewalls and just ran with Windows firewall and Windows defender (did not install MSE).

However, I just got a BSOD for no apparent reason. Interestingly, there was no minidump file for that. What could be the problem?

Here's the 2 entries in the eventlog:

7:36:35 PM

7:36:17 PM:

6. Tmagic650

Are you over-clocking the motherboard? Set the bios to the default settings

7. abxccd

Hi Tmagic,

No overclocking at all. Bios is the latest stable version and settings are all default.

8. Tmagic650

Must be a program issue. The errors are very vague. You have checked everything else. Are all the Windows Updates applied including all the optional updates?

9. abxccd

Hi Tmagic650,

I have all the updates including optional ones.

I took out all the memory yesterday and clean them and the slots. So far, no crashes at all, although I haven't been doing stuff that will cause high load to the system. But I have a feeling it is fixed :)

Thanks for your help :)

10. Tmagic650

Okay you are welcome. Thanks for coming by:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.