TechSpot

BSODs while gaming on Win 7

By Bang4501
Aug 23, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hello everyone. I Just built a new system last week and I get BSODs every 10-20 minutes or so while playing games like L4D and BFBC2. I made sure the BIOS and all drivers were up to date. I originally thought it was a graphics driver problem (ATI Catalyst 10.7) So I tried previous versions like 10.5, 10.4, but still got BSODs. So I thought maybe it was on board sound drivers. So I disabled and removed them and installed the SB card, but still BSODs. Maybe it was the RAM. Ran Memtest86+ and it passed several times. I thought maybe it's overheating so I ran Prime95 and HMMonitor and temps stayed below 30c, but I noticed 3 out of the 6 cores on the cpu failed tests, so I opened up the case, replaced the RAM into different sockets and then reran the tests. This time it ran for about 5 hours with no errors. I tried gaming (BFBC2) again and got no BSODs (I played for maybe an hour or so) I thought everything was good, and the ram was just not seated correctly. Until today, I got 2 more BSODs while playing L4D. I am thinking maybe the RAM really is bad, or maybe my MOBO, or drivers! I dunno... im stumped and hoping someone here can help.

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    MB - Asus M4A89TD Pro/w USB 3.0
    RAM - Corsair Dominators 4GB 2x2 DDR3 (CMD4GX3M2A1600C9)
    PSU - Corsair 750HX
    HDD - Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3
    Video Card - ATI Radeon HIS HD5850
    Sound Card - SB Audigy PCI
    OS - Win 7 Professional

Attached Files:

2. Bang4501

Bang4501 TS Rookie Topic Starter

and another...

Tried playing BFBC2, played for about 20 minutes and then sounds loops, video freezes, and then BSOD.

Attached Files:

• DMP.zip
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Bang4501

Bang4501 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Mystery solved I guess...

I lowered my RAM from 1600 to 1333 and the BSODs stopped, computer is now stable while gaming. I don't know what that means though, I set the RAM at the specs corsair rated them at. Maybe I need to increase NB voltages or something to maintain the 1600 clock, but meh its not worth the trouble.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.