TechSpot

BSODs while playing high end games

By dmorison
Dec 29, 2008
  1. Hi Guys,

The PC I'm on is self-built and has a history of semi-regular blue screening. A few months back I replaced the RAM modules and motherboard and that seemed to stabilise the system for a long time.

Recently I bought GTA 4 and Red Alert 3, and while playing either of these games, I get BSODs. I have recently updated my graphics drivers and the problem has really only worsened since.

I am seriously considering buying a new graphics card to get round the problem, but thought I'd post on here as a last resort beforehand in case you have any better ideas.

The specs are as follows:

MB: GA-P35-DS3P
    RAM: 4x1GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400
    Graphics: NVIDIA 8800GTS 320MB
    Processor: Intel E6600

2 Minidumps are attached. I've had a look at them, but don't have the experience to diagnose any kind of problem. I Googled for similar ones, and the best I can come up with is that it is a Graphics related problem, but I don't know if it's driver related (and if so, how to fix it) or hardware related. Or if it really even is a graphics problem.

Any help is, as always, appreciated.

2. mrfireball

mrfireball TS Rookie

I'm having BSODs occur when the Fallout 3 loader pops up.
    Tried to uninstall/reinstall the game, no luck. The bugcheck is 0x1000008e (0xc0000006, 0xad436b3a, 0xa997e7e8, 0x00000000).

I am attaching a dump with this posting.

I have run a full memtest with memtest86+ with 6 passes on my 4 gb of ram. I also have been able to play Team Fortress 2 and Red Alert 3 with no issues. I am wanting to assume its a graphical driver conflict.Any help would be appreciated.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.