BSODs while working in resource heavy 3D app

A bit of background info: just upgraded my computer in the past few days. New Asus mobo, and 8 gigs of RAM. I have NOT reformated my hard drive yet and performed a clean install of Windows 7.

I was rendering a project in Cinema 4D when all of the sudden the program crashed followed by artifacts and graphics glitches everywhere. I restarted the computer, no more glitches, started rendering and got a blue screen. Restarted, rendered again (I render by frame so even when I crash I can pick up where I left off) and another blue screen.

I have attached the dmp files. I suspect I have a bad graphics card. I also suspect a reformat would be in order to put fresh new drivers on, however I have to wait until I have enough money to get another hard drive to transfer my files to.

Thanks for your time and help!

Attachments

• 031311-29421-01.zip
    56.5 KB · Views: 1
Question: Do these blue screens occur doing anything else on this PC such as gaming, video streaming, etc.?

No. I forgot to mention a critical factor: I did ASUS automatic overclocking. The BSOD stopped when I reset the BIOS.

However, the graphics glitches still have me worried and make me think the card is going bad.

Okay, read the following. I believe it will help explain your issue.

One minidump stated your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU, etc).

Overclocking hardware will cause this error.

I would say if you have gained stability since the resetting of the BIOS the issue was with the overclocking. Try rendering again now that the BIOS is reset and let us know the results.

Back