Buffalo announces USB 3.0 Blu-ray burner, ships HDD

By Jos
Nov 26, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peripheral and storage vendor Buffalo this week became the first in a soon-to-grow list of companies actually shipping USB 3.0 compatible devices, with the introduction of an external hard drive and Blu-ray burner. Available in 1TB, 1.5TB and 2TB capacities, the former debuted as the DriveStation HD-HXU3 and should provide data transfers at rates around 130 MB per second.

Read the whole story
  2. Nirkon

Nirkon TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 243

Compared to other products like this, the pricing inst that bad..
  3. BlindObject

BlindObject Newcomer, in training Posts: 446

Whoa, Xbox could of looked this sexy! You HAVE to admit that it reminds you of an Xbox, and you wish your xbox looked like that, lol.
  4. Afenix

Afenix Newcomer, in training Posts: 51

Whoa it looks sweet!! It's going to look very very nice next to my Buffalo WHR-G300N.
  5. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Booster Posts: 991   +82

@Nirkon: the prices are still way too high for normal consumers to buy.
  6. manintech

manintech Newcomer, in training Posts: 46

Normal consumers don't need such thing yet, but anyway it looks great
  7. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,119   +51

This is stylish, slick and some might say "sexy", but it's still in an out of range price for normal consumers.
  8. saintbodhisatva

saintbodhisatva Newcomer, in training Posts: 59

This is still compatible with 2.0 right? because very few people will be able to use it if ever. else, most would need to buy the PCI card for USB3, which might cost another $50
  9. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 742   +14

BD-RE at 2x? That's awful slow.
  10. yorro

yorro TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 242

That thing looks like an Xbox360.

But a PS3 would be much cheaper.
  11. lfg18

lfg18 Newcomer, in training Posts: 86

I have to admit that it looks very sexy, but i don't think most normal costumers need one of this, price is not that great and the performance is regular, but it would look excellent in my living room
  12. FroZenThai

FroZenThai Newcomer, in training

Nice, and sexy :p
    but as people say I dont Think many normal costumers need this, and a bit pricy.
  13. Razerblade

Razerblade Newcomer, in training Posts: 117

I like the idea of this product and with the fast transfer rates from USB 3.0 will make it very useful! I just wish USB 3.0 would become more available sooner!

14. kaonis92

kaonis92 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

Not a bad price for these features. I'm looking forward to more USB3 devices. That's the only way intel will speed up USB3 adoption in its chipsets !
  15. fref

fref TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 153

Wow, that's one great looking device! Congrats to Buffalo for the design, and for being among the firsts to actually release USB 3.0 devices. Keep them coming!
  16. buttus

buttus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 187

Buffalo has always put out a competitive product at compelling prices. Their home NAS has been great as has been their portible hard drives. The USB 3.0 is a bit forward thinking at this point but it would also provide the speed and pipe needed to use Blu-ray as a storage medium.
  17. peas

peas Newcomer, in training Posts: 49

2-port USB 3.0 card?? You gotta be kidding me. I bet they're going to charge an arm & leg for that under-achieving card.
    What we need is an 8-port USB3 card, 4 ports on the back plate and 4 internally on headers to hook up front ports and other internal devices.
  18. ken777

ken777 Newcomer, in training Posts: 103

Looks cool, but still too big a premium compared to current external drives. Seagate and WD 2TB USB 2 external drives selling for half the price. Need to wait another year for Intel and AMD to integrate USB 3 into their chipsets for this to go mainstream.
  19. IvanAwfulitch

IvanAwfulitch TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 239   +11

Why is it that so many new and improved USB 3.0 devices are coming out so soon? 3.0 isn't even being supported on half the platforms when it IS coming out. Why even bother making these things? I hope people realize that these things won't be any faster in a 2.0 port than things already are...
  20. Heretic

Heretic Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

Looks kinda cool. I'd want one of these for whenever they finally mainstream USB3.0.
  21. Aolish

Aolish TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 216

tho it won't be for sometime till i fully upgrade to another system.. at least i'll know that things will be a lot cheaper AND with USB 3.0 when the time comes for me to upgrade. =]
  22. AbsolutGaloot

AbsolutGaloot Newcomer, in training Posts: 92

are there even any motherboards out yet with integrated USB3.0?
  23. ununpentium

ununpentium Newcomer, in training

USB 2.0 has been another big bottleneck for modern drives in these years...
    USB 3 finally let them sigh with relief!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.