Bug in Microsoft's new Edge feature stops the browser from closing

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Microsoft is quite the expert in pushing out updates that introduce issues—something we've seen countless times with Windows 10. Now, Microsoft Edge has received a feature designed to improve loading speeds, but it's also added a bug that stops the browser from closing.

Back in October, Microsoft started testing a new feature in Windows 10 that increases the speed at which Edge launches from the desktop, taskbar, and hyperlinks within apps. Called Startup boost, it works by launching core Edge processes when Windows 10 is booted, keeping them running in the background at low priority when the browser isn't open.

Having these processes constantly ready in this way allows Edge to start quicker, keeping the browser in a "state of readiness." Microsoft claims it can improve start-up times by 29 to 41 percent.

In addition to objections over Edge loading some processes when Windows boots, users have found another issue with Startup boost, which is automatically enabled in Edge 89. As reported by Windows Latest, some people have encountered a bug where closing Edge doesn't quit the browser. Instead, it runs in the background and relaunches again, leaving multiple processes running and impacting a CPU's performance.

Credit: Windows Latest

"Found multiple instances of Edge running in the background and when I turned off Startup Boost, everything returned to normal. I haven't noticed any difference in performance when this feature was enabled/disabled. Only that it took an impact on my CPU which caused my games to lag horribly," one user noted.

If you're an Edge user and have noticed your PC is sluggish, check the Task Manager to ensure there aren't a ton of processes running in the background.

Another bug sees Edge reopen immediately after existing. "Only by Option -> Close Microsoft Edge can [Edge] close it completely," writes another user on Microsoft's forums.

Microsoft said it is aware of the reports and has "decided to temporarily disable Startup boost since it was causing a frustrating issue for some users."

"Our team is working on fixing a couple of issues where some customers are seeing the browser reopen immediately after exiting and/or a message about reopening tabs when Startup boost is enabled," the company said in a statement.

For anyone experiencing these problems, the best solution is to manually disable Startup boost by starting the browser, going to 'Settings', then 'System,' and toggling 'Startup Boost' to off.

Permalink to story.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

In a seriousness though, for all the reports of farked up updates, and users bitching about Win10 due to it, I'm yet to have any issues with any updates or the OS itself being wonky.

The only problem I'm having is one of my own making, being that the indexer runs on one of my drives after every restart, rendering machine unusable until it's done.
I messed it up by screwing around with the page file setting for the drive.
All possible troubleshooting solutions have been attempted to no avail. Deleting the partition and copying all the information back to it didn't work either. Drive is still in good condition,
I'll just do a reinstall of Windows to fix it whenever I finally get tired of having a cigarette after rebooting my machine.

*headdesk*

see, this is why I wish I had picked up a windows 8.1 disk when they were dirt cheap. WinBeta 10 is about as stable as a post soviet democracy.

It's gonna load fast if it's always open...

1366_2000.jpg

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

In a seriousness though, for all the reports of farked up updates, and users bitching about Win10 due to it, I'm yet to have any issues with any updates or the OS itself being wonky.
With any luck, you will not experience any, either. Speaking from experience, some of them can be difficult to work around. That is why I use Image for Linux https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ to image my drives before I get any Windohs 10 updates. When something goes wrong, it is not fun.

With any luck, you will not experience any, either. Speaking from experience, some of them can be difficult to work around. That is why I use Image for Linux https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ to image my drives before I get any Windohs 10 updates. When something goes wrong, it is not fun.

No doubt I'm tempting fate just by saying such a thing, especially with my luck.
I maintain a back up of anything important, anything else is just installers/update builds for programs and more than likely a game mod or file of some sort.
Got a USB with a Win10 install ready to go just in case though.

LOL, classic Microsoft! My recent LinkedIn message from an MS recruiter used the terms like world-class product experiences and I told her that she should do a stand-up for MS products.

Bad news kidz, the newest version of Firefox runs multiple processes, AND, it's a memory hog.

Mercifully, the latest edition of Windows I have, is the 'Edge-less',,Windows 7.

I also use Opera, which is Chrome based. It too runs multiple processes. Although, it doesn't seem to track directly with the number of tabs I have open. It shows a notification, "this tab was 'snoozed' to save memory".

Those things said, Task Manager shows >128< processes running ATM. (Both browsers open 32 bit Win 7). While my XP, 'erotic art collection device' (**), shows >33< normally .That has the 'latest version' of FF installed compatible with XP, which is 53..sumpin, sumpin'., which only runs one process for all tabs and windows open.

(**) Am I even allowed to call a 10+ year old desktop a device? I'm so out of touch with colloquial nomenclature.

Last edited:
Bad news kidz, the newest version of Firefox runs multiple processes, AND, it's a memory hog.

Mercifully, the latest edition of Windows I have, is the 'Edge-less',,Windows 7.

I also use Opera, which is Chrome based. It too runs multiple processes. Although, it doesn't seem to track directly with the number of tabs I have open. It shows a notification, "this tab was 'snoozed' to save memory".

Those things said, Task Manager shows >128< processes running ATM. (Both browsers open 32 bit Win 7). While my XP, 'erotic art collection device' (**), shows >33< normally .That has the 'latest version' of FF installed compatible with XP, which is 53..sumpin, sumpin'., which only runs one process for all tabs and windows open.

(**) Am I even allowed to call a 10+ year old desktop a device? I'm so out of touch with colloquial nomenclature.

Hey Captain!

Been a while, in fact a long while :)

Well at least your 'art machine' is just 10 years' old and works; whereas, I recently dusted off my eXtremely old C2D machine circa 2006; which refuses to stay stable after booting up.

I find that if the power settings on the mouse and keyboard are set so they can't wake the machine, it's not connected to any sort of network,"Wake by LAN" is disabled, and there's no RAT loose in the works, so to speak, the "sleep" button on the keyboard works just fine.

After which, a light tap of the power switch, brings you right back to where you left off, with no jeopardy attached..

Last edited:
Hey Captain!

Been a while, in fact a long while :)
How ya been?

Well at least your 'art machine' is just 10 years' old and works; whereas, I recently dusted off my eXtremely old C2D machine circa 2006; which refuses to stay stable after booting up.
I'm not exactly sure how old mine is. I put it into service after my eMachines, (circa 2005) P-4 just got too slow. It's a C2D 7300 / P-43 / 2 GB RAM, with a mighty EVGA 9500 GT powering the video. (y) (Y)

Firefox crapped out and locked up on me tonight when it hit 1,3+ GB of memory usage. :poop:I tried closing the 45 Explorer windows I had open, but alas to no avail. Task Manager to the rescue. Oh well, with the old version of FF, you only have to kill one process

How ya been?
Absolutely fantastic, been busy with life, and family.

How about you?

I'm not exactly sure how old mine is. I put it into service after my eMachines, (circa 2005) P-4 just got too slow. It's a C2D 7300 / P-43 / 2 GB RAM, with a mighty EVGA 9500 GT powering the video. (y) (Y)

Firefox crapped out and locked up on me tonight when it hit 1,3+ GB of memory usage. :poop:I tried closing the 45 Explorer windows I had open, but alas to no avail. Task Manager to the rescue. Oh well, with the old version of FF, you only have to kill one process

Well mine is a C2D Q8400, it had 8 GB RAM, but apparently one 4GB module died while it was in store.

I guess Vivaldi can be useful, as it still runs as a single process. But its 'tab count' can be bit off the mark, as right now I have 14 tabs opened, but Task Manager counts them as (18) in a single entry. More importantly; with just 5 tabs, FF uses 594MB of memory, whereas Vivaldi with dozen plus tabs is using 568MB.

Absolutely fantastic, been busy with life, and family.

How about you?.
Oh, pretty good for an aging sociopath. I'm a bachelor, an orphan, and an only child. No matter, people are too hard to operate anyway....

I find the internet, TV reruns, and a few cats are plenty sufficient to take up the slack. As long as you feed them regularly, they tend to be non judgmental..;)

I'm afraid if I say anymore that that, you're liable to bill me for therapy. :laughing:

As to memory failure, the only module that ever failed on me, was a piece of CompUSA store brand junk. Ever since,I've used G-Skill with no issues whatsoever.

Last edited:
Back