Build Advice

I've been researching the parts I think will be good for a gaming computer I'm hoping to build but I wanted to get some opinions on the parts, I've never built a gaming computer before and would like any advice you have on the parts.

Motherboard:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor:
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

RAM:
Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX

Video Card:
EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Power Supply Unit:
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

also any advice in what to look for for a tower would be much appreciated, thanks

Heres my advice,

Mobo: Good choice, im personally more of an asus fan, but ive heard that Asrock are good as well. Looks like a nice board

Processor: Good choice, but if your interested, the new Haswell series is out which do show a nice performance up from the 3570k. Try checking into a 4670k and a LGA 1150 chipset board.

Ram: I like Kingston, nothing wrong with that set

Video Card: Go for a GTX 770 over it, comparing the cheapest options from both sides (670 to 770) it seem to be only about a 40-20 dollar difference. The 770 is a nice step up.

PSU: Corsairs are reliable, and that will be plenty so long as you don't plan on doing SLI.

As for a case, depends on your size you want, I personally like corsair cases as they seem to always know how to fit everything in a good spot with plenty of space. Try something like the 200R

Don't forget to factor in your hard drives and/or SSD (unless you already own one?).

What sort of budget are you looking at for the build?

i5-4670K, GTX 770, Asrock Z87 Extreme 4, Corsair Neutron GTX SSD, Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Corsair AX760i, Corsair Air 540D case. Nothing becomes yesterday's news faster than PC parts - newer, faster and cheaper components arrive in quick succession. So you should almost always buy the latest available hardware generations, they're usually only about 5% more expensive than the previous one, but 5-15% faster and more power efficient. I built my Z77/i5-3570k rig only 10 months ago, but I'm already wanting to build a Z87 system. nVidia's new GTX 770 offers incredible bang-for-the-buck at ~$400, and Corsair's goodies just keep getting better. Read reviews on the above hardware and you'll be wondering why you even considered last gen parts.

Why has no one here asked about his price range, resolution he is playing at, and games he plays. Come on y'all.

RolloRampage What is your price range for build? What games do you plan on building and at what resolution?

i5-4670K, GTX 770, Asrock Z87 Extreme 4, Corsair Neutron GTX SSD, Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Corsair AX760i, Corsair Air 540D case. Nothing becomes yesterday's news faster than PC parts - newer, faster and cheaper components arrive in quick succession. So you should almost always buy the latest available hardware generations, they're usually only about 5% more expensive than the previous one, but 5-15% faster and more power efficient. I built my Z77/i5-3570k rig only 10 months ago, but I'm already wanting to build a Z87 system. nVidia's new GTX 770 offers incredible bang-for-the-buck at ~$400, and Corsair's goodies just keep getting better. Read reviews on the above hardware and you'll be wondering why you even considered last gen parts.

Corsair SSDs are not that great in my opinion. This is what I would recommend:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (Vengeance Pro is available in very little quantities/overpriced and is offered at few retailers, but that will change soon) Also, you want to wait for full reviews/stress tests before buying new memory. It can be flawed without you knowing.
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: WD Caviar Black
PSU: Corsair HX750, hood6558 That "760i" garbage is not worth the extra $$$.
Case: The 540D case is very wide and I do not recommend it. It is only good for people who want a high airflow case. You dont know how much space the OP has for a PC.
GPU: If you play @ 1080P, get a GTX 660Ti. It matters on what you play and @ what resolution though.

JC713 - I wasn't really trying to be specific, just making the point that it's usually better to go with the new platform when possible. 1155/Ivy parts are still everywhere, but the prices haven't come down much, if at all, even though the socket is EOL. Maybe because Sandy/Ivy are both good overclockers, and Haswell isn't, or is an unknown value as yet. I am hearing that some Haswell K chips are maxed at 4500, so that sucks. I've had my 3570k/H100 at 4800/1.3 vcore stable, and even 4900/1.4 (not totally stable but ran some benchmarks). If true that Haswell is a crapshoot, it may be better to stay with Ivy if overclocking is your thing. But if buying all new parts for a build today, I'd probably go with Haswell.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x4GB
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
HDD: WD Caviar Black
PSU: Corsair HX650
Case: Corsair 200R
GPU: GTX 660Ti

If that gets you >$900, then downgrade to a Core i5 3570K + ASUS P8Z77V-LK

JC how about letting the OP build their own rig. Maybe give a little advice along the way. After all the rig is not for you. You don't have to turn your nose up at each and every build you see. The OP was asking for advice not someone to build a rig for them. Personally I don't see anything wrong with the OP's original build.

JC how about letting the OP build their own rig. Maybe give a little advice along the way. After all the rig is not for you. You don't have to turn your nose up at each and every build you see. The OP was asking for advice not someone to build a rig for them. Personally I don't see anything wrong with the OP's original build.

I was just telling the OP what I thought was best. He had a budget that I can make the most of. He is asking for our opinions and that is my opinion on the build. We are here to help them with their builds, not make them struggle along the way. I hope that is ok RolloRampage.

Would the Processor I chose be a good choice for a gaming computer a friend of mine claims that AMD Processors are better for gaming computers, should I choose a different Processor and/or motherboard

I'm trying to cut down on price a bit how does this new Graphics card:
ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

compair with the one I have already

ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Like I said before, that is the better choice for your budget. The i5 3570K you chose is a good choice.

The 660 Ti is a good choice. If you want an alternative way to cut the price down, you can get a different model of a 670. This MSI 670 is almost $60 cheaper than the EVGA FTW 670, and will give you the same performance when overclocked.

The funny thing is right now, you can get a gtx 770 for 400 or less which is what a 670 upper version sells for. If you can go for it, that's a nice deal especially considering the 770 is a super clocked 680 with better overclocking ranges.

The funny thing is right now, you can get a gtx 770 for 400 or less which is what a 670 upper version sells for. If you can go for it, that's a nice deal especially considering the 770 is a super clocked 680 with better overclocking ranges.

This is true, but the OP was looking to reduce the cost of his build :p

It's pretty stupid though, people get roped into buying the $400 version of a $350 product because they think the more expensive version is somehow "better" than the cheaper one. Most of the time, the only real difference is the clock speed, which is pretty irrelevant considering how simple GPU overclocking is.

+1 to you, a lot of people are roped in for that exact reason. Personally, I prefer reference because I liquid cool things anyway so coolers don't matter for me.

If he's trying to reduce the cost, go for that cheaper 660ti, that's just a awesome card for the money. Or if that's not cheap enough, try a hd 7870. That's also a great bang for buck card.

This is true, but the OP was looking to reduce the cost of his build :p

It's pretty stupid though, people get roped into buying the $400 version of a $350 product because they think the more expensive version is somehow "better" than the cheaper one. Most of the time, the only real difference is the clock speed, which is pretty irrelevant considering how simple GPU overclocking is.

That is business/marketing for your bud.

Back